Which bottle cages to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I want to attach 2 bottle cages to attach to my bike but I am unsure which to buy and what sort of bottles will fit. Any advice would be appreciated

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There are lots, but I've found the Elite Custom Race hold them well.

D

Deleted member 23692

Tacx Deva. Not the cheapest but grips superbly and comes in loads of colours too. Tacx bottle are superb too

Used by loads of pro teams

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Decathlon B’twin. I’m just a cheapskate :laugh: but does everything it’s supposed to.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Bottles and cages are to a standard size wise, so just pick whatever price and whichever look you like. Some say certain cages grip better but I've never lost a bottle or suffered too much rattling.

I've got those standard aluminium cages on most of my bikes, (Tubus, Topeak, Bontrager and lots of other companies make them, I think they're usually roughly 4 to 8 pounds each. I like the bigger 750ml bottles that High 5 sell because (a) I'm always thirsty and (b) they're fairly cheap at £4. Or you get one free with any of their race packs (sometimes on offer at Aldi or Halfords).

20200809_085042.jpg

I've got the Elite plastic cages on my road bike, they're fine too, just dearer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bontrager RL cages work well too at around a tenner each. Of course, colour coordination with the bike is crucial and these come in loads of colours :shy:

midlife

Guru
Something that doesn't rattle, nothing worse than a bottle rattling in a cage lol

Elite at about 8 quid should be OK. Remember to pick a nice color :smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
One of the good things about steel or alloy cages is that if they do rattle, they can be bent to not rattle. Not that I've ever had a rattling cage.
I'd advise against buying a cheapo alloy cage though. The welds can break. That did happen to me.
Not all bottles are the same diameter because the makers are awkward gits. If one is too small, you can tie a velcro strap or something to secure it in the cage. Most bottles described as bicycle bottles are OK though. Make sure you can open the drink spout. I bought some Spa bottles that required pliers to pull out the stop. Useless.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Is it a vintage 70's bike? If so then Cobra were popular, jus be prepared to stop every few miles, turn around, ride back and pick your bottle up off the tarmac :smile:

si_c

Guru
I've just moved from using Elite Custom Race (hold the bottle very very well and pretty much every bottle I've ever used has been nice and snug) to using Zefal Spring cages - for one very simple reason - when wearing jeans the bottle cage catches on the downstroke and can often break. Since I ride a fair amount in jeans this is a non-inconsequential problem.

I tried using trouser clips or tucking my pants into my socks, but that doesn't always work and sometimes I forget. So far the Zefals seem OK - but they grip less well than the Elites so I'm slightly concerned about how well they will hold bottles on rougher terrain.

If you don't ride in trousers ever then get the Elites.

Top Bottom