Which car is most suitable for a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr potts

Whats peoples views on different cars for transporting bike/bikes ( excluding bars or racks ) ?
Had a Berlingo multispace for a few years which is most practical car ever but can't decide whether to have a change or not?

New or used? If used then a skoda roomster is handy, or new/used then an octavia estate. Easy to stand a lge road bike in the boot with the front wheel off, and still loads of room for gear/ passenger.

Drago

Legendary Member
Up on the roof is the bestest place, if you're tall enough. I'd love a Berlingo/Teepee, I think they're brilliant - undiluted essence of transport with no ego or pretension.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Skoda Fabia estate, does everything needed to transport bikes as well as being a fast comfortable car rather than converted van

If you’re happy with the Berlingo however, why change?

Drago

Legendary Member
You lot are making me jealous with your Berlingpees.

Remember, the current generation is not a converted van. Just the opposite, the Peetee/Berlingo and the van are rebodied Peugeot 308's.

Weirdly, a Mitsubishi colt works extremely well. I’ve transported all 8 of my bikes in it, over the years, only having to remove the front wheel ( of the bike, obvs). It has a clever ‘sliding folding bench’ arrangement in the back, which turns it into a surprisingly large space.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Older style Focus c max takes 3 with fr wheels removed with ease inside

FishFright

More wheels than sense
None at all . It's hard but doable if we can handle changes to our lifestyles , priorities etc.

I'm 52 and never owned one so I know how hard it can be. You have move to to follow the work instead of extended commutes and you'll need to shop according to what you will need over the next few days. Car hire fills the gap when its really needed.

DW's new skoda superb's boot is practically big enough to get my road bike in standing up, wheels and all. More importantly, Bradley Wiggins endorses it!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzHdpSrK300

I'm not a big car fan, being a die hard cycle commuter but it's a seriously luxurious car for the money, and has the biggest boot in class. The boot is like a clowns pocket. Plenty of room on the roof too for those that don't mind! For the record, wiggins had no part in choosing this particular car for DW. It's just arguably the best value in it's class.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
DW's new skoda superb's boot is practically big enough to get my road bike in standing up, wheels and all. More importantly, Bradley Wiggins endorses it!
What does that mean in practical terms? Do you ride a tiny bike? What are the dimensions? How many bikes and how many jiffybags will fit in at once?

ETA: I do find these what-car-for-bikes threads slightly frustrating because they fill up with comments like "my bike fits in my car" which is fantastic for you, I'm sure, but fark all use to most readers because you might be very short and frankly even if I've met you I might not remember how big your bike is, whether it's a tiny Brompton or a hulking Dutchie.

tyred

Legendary Member
Van%200050.jpg

Top Bottom