Which car is most suitable for a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Crappy old zafira. Worth about £80 On webuyanycar. Fit 3 bikes and riders in for various sportives.
Reminds me of another Cadillac story. We went out to jump-start a car, as security guys do, and found a Cadillac Catera. I said
"We have to set up the jump pack differently, as it's a European car, see how the battery posts are?".
and the lady whose car we were jumping said "European? "
I said
"Yes, it's an Opel(Omega), like some of the Saturns".
(short lived GM marque over here.)
She was not amused at the vagaries of the world economy.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm kind of intrigued by the Fiat Doblo, sold as the Ram Promaster City over here. There are a few around town, but I may go to Peoria to look.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Names often vary. The Toyota Yaris I drove in the US was an entirely different and bigger car to the one sold by that name in the EU.
I looked at the Yaris, in first year it was sold here, quite small. One notable trait about my city is that with one or two exceptions, we seem to have the worst car dealers imaginable, and the most restaurants. When I became interested in the Yaris, my salesperson lost interest in me. So I bought a Mitsubishi Lancer, instead. In the States, though, Mitsubishi has a very limited product line. Electric car, Mirage minicar, Lancer sedan, and a small and large SUV. So I may have to go either Korean (KIA or Hyundai) or Audi/Volvo/Mercedes/VW/Subaru dealer.

sleuthey

Legendary Member

I had a Mk1 Focus estate and had no issues putting the back seats down and literally wheeling in my mountain bike and laying it down. I now have a Leon ST and have to take one wheel off to get it in. I believe its because the boot is narrower and also being a "Sports Tourer" the manufacturer has made it look sportier than an "estate" by sloping the rear roof and tale gate making it less boxy. Some may argue that an estate and ST are the same thing, just named differently, and if that is the case then perhaps these sloping/angular/aerodynamic features are just a feature of some modern family cars.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a Mk1 Focus estate and had no issues putting the back seats down and literally wheeling in my mountain bike and laying it down. I now have a Leon ST and have to take one wheel off to get it in. I believe its because the boot is narrower and also being a "Sports Tourer" the manufacturer has made it look sportier than an "estate" by sloping the rear roof and tale gate making it less boxy.

The Leon is 4263mm Octavia 4659, Focus 4174.

After spending to long in bodyshops I have seen the effect of loose items in a car, strap them down at best.

OP
OP
Mr potts

Mr potts

Well i think reading all the above comments for now i may as well stick to the Berlingo multispace and save my money for another bike :bicycle:

Top Bottom