Which car is most suitable for a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 5080492, member: 45"]I nicked three standard pallets from work yesterday and they slid easily into mine.[/QUOTE]
Is the yeti as big/flexible/adaptable on the inside do you know? One of tlh's siblings wants a Roomie but wants new... go figure.

Jason

BMW X5 - carries two complete bikes with a blanket sandwiched in between.
If taking the family then a roof rack for bikes and all the storage you need.
yes it's a luxury car vehicle.

work hard,play hard is my motto

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 5080854, member: 45"]I think the brochure figures give a smaller internal litreage. I've not been in one myself.[/QUOTE]
I've only peered through various windows. Rear seats look identical.

jay clock

Massive member
I am amazed. Three pages in and so far only one person has suggested "none" as the answer

I have a Volvo XC60. a few years old, huge and easily takes two bikes lying flat. Three people and three bikes is a challenge but doable ok without mudguards

My old model Nissan Note is pretty good for putting a bike or two in the back. Taking front wheels off helps but isn't necessary at all.

16389569.jpg

The new model isn't as spacious/boxy though. They messsed with the rear end.

nissan-note-rear-tracking_0.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Much as it pains me to say it, I really like the original Note/Modus. Careful if you get a puncture though - theres a plastic handle in the boot you unwind to lower the spare wheel, and the one I used snapped and sliced my palm open, necessitating many stitches and much "woe is me" type complaining.

When it wasn't trying to maim me it was comfortable, spacious for a tall and generously proportioned chap, and decent to drive. It was quick enough to keep with the traffic flow, and that's all you need - the speed limit is 70, after all. If you're the sort of chap or chapess who places quiet and unassuming practicality over impressing the neighbours (who couldn't care less anyway) then it's a decent wee scoot.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr, it was more of a tongue in cheek post, isn't that what manufacturer specifications and brochures are for?
Few manufacturers bother to cite such things. If you're lucky, you might get a volume and maximum loadspace dimensions, but sometimes not even all of that and then trying to put a bike in farks up because some minimum dimension isn't big enough.

U

User32269

Our 7 seater Renault Scenic is perfect for putting bikes in. Which is handy, because you will need them to get home when the electrics fail.

DRM

Guru
I have a Ford Galaxy, the 3rd row seats fold into the floor, the 2nd & 3rd row seats also slide backwards/forwards & tilt, my bike went to France with us in the summer with one of the 2nd row seats folded down it went in(front wheel off, stood up) with loads of room along with 3x large suitcases plus all the other things in holdalls that Mrs DRM can't travel without,apparently, plus my daughter took a similar amount of essentials too, there was nothing in the area where we were sitting, everything was in the boot, with all the rear seats down you have a decent sized van, it's quite economical to run too which is always a bonus.

boydj

Legendary Member
Without going down the people carrier or estate car route - I have a VW Jetta - normal saloon car - which has a massive boot and a folding rear seat. Wheels off, bike in the boot. Wheels on, bike in the rear with seat down. Only failing is the parcel shelf is not removeable.

mgs315

I own an Alfa Romeo 147. As much as I love it, it really isn’t suitable for a bike at all. Maybe a unicycle or a kids bike. Definitely not a decent roadie.

Still, I drive the car to put a smile on my face and I ride the bike from home to do the same. So tbh I don’t care.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I own an Alfa Romeo 147. As much as I love it, it really isn’t suitable for a bike at all. Maybe a unicycle or a kids bike. Definitely not a decent roadie.

Still, I drive the car to put a smile on my face and I ride the bike from home to do the same. So tbh I don’t care.
I'm similar about our Alfa Romeo Mito, although I don't really find driving enjoyable, it's tolerable in that car... but it'll fit my large road bike in laid down with the back seats folded and another on top (with padding between) and I thought the 147 was bigger. Still, unless you like roof mounting, the Mito isn't a car to use ifyou transport bikes often.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Citroen C3.

3 bikes will go on the roof with the appropriate carriers, etc.
Or I can get two road bikes in the back, just, with the rear seat folded and front seat pushed forward. Or take the front wheels off the bikes and it's much easier and the front seat passenger keeps their leg room.

Then, when your not carrying bikes you have a 5 seater hatchback that does 60mpg and is a piece of cake to park.

Top Bottom