Which clipless pedal for newbie? Or stick with clips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ron4322

I'm at present modifying an old (cheap and basic) mtb to use as a commuter (primarily switch to hub gear, single chainwheel and road tyres), and now need to consider pedals.

My options are:

Use the existing plastic mtb pedals
Use the rat trap pedals and nylon toe clips and straps from my current hybrid bike (or buy another similar set)
Bite the bullet and convert to clipless pedals.

I've already pretty much talked myself out of using the existing mtb pedals, mainly because I'm used to lifting the pedals on the "up" stroke. Also, I am used to lifting my right foot at any stop in readiness for the setting off push. It's a bit inconvenient to hook my foot under the mtb pedal to do this.

Of the other two options I'm still not finally decided. I quite like using clips. I always stop and restart with my left foot down to the ground. I have the right toe clip strap at the sort of tension where I can just get my foot in without adjusting the strap. The left strap is a bit looser so that I can easily flip the pedal over and pick up the clip without looking down, and also so that I can get out quickly in an emergency (although the slow fall to the side, after stopping, is still not unknown - twice in about 50 yds a couple of weeks ago while riding on a rutted track covered in wet leaves). I don't use cleats, and never attempt to loosen/tighten the straps when riding - I use them more like mini toe clips.

I recently bought a set of cheap Lidl mtb cycle shoes in readiness for the move to clipless. I'm using these with toe clips on my hybrid bike, and find them OK.

Right, if I switch to clipless pedals, which ones would other forummers recommend for a first timer? I would like to use the Lidl shoes - as I've alrady committed £9.99 to the changeover (last of the big spenders, eh). I want recessed clips so that I can walk without hobbling. I am not some sort of road warrior. I cycle at a fairly leisurely pace and have no problem with getting off and walking a bit - so I need to be able to walk without crippling myself. My commute includes a little off road track - nothing serious, just more hard core than blacktop.

All thing being equal, I don't want to spend a fortune (in case I cannot get along with them).

I gather (from other threads) that some Shimano pedals require a special tool to service them - would I be better with a pedal (Shimano or otherwise) that can be serviced with "normal" tools. If so, which pedals require a special tool and which do not? Unless people consider other advantages as being more important, I'd prefer pedals I can readily service myself.

I have no real preference re single sided (with a plain platform on the other side - I'm sure I'll be OK flipping them as I do with the current toe clipped pedals), or double sided. I suppose single sided would allow more flexibility - allowing use with normal shoes and allowing others without special shoes to use the bike - eg my wife. (But if that is the case, I could easily re-fit the old pedals)

Finally, most people on here think clipless pedals are better than clipped systems, and "once you go clipless you'll never want to go back". Does everyone think this, or do some of you still prefer toeclips? Why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ron.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Finally, most people on here think clipless pedals are better than clipped systems, and "once you go clipless you'll never want to go back". Does everyone think this, or do some of you still prefer toeclips?

Toeclips are rubbish, if you go clipless you will not want to go back.

If you are looking for a single sided pedal try the Shimano PD-A530.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

Since my original post I've also thought - I'd like some sort of adjustment (do they all have adjustment?) so that I can start off with a loose fitting so that I can be sure of easily removing my foot, until I get used to it.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

Thanks all for the comments so far.

Can anyone advise which models can be serviced and which cannot (unless you have the special tool), or is there anywhere I can find out?

Edit: Also, more questions - are the larger mtb pedals more comfortable than the smaller road pedals due to the wider and longer foot bed, or doesn't it matter?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
ron4322 said:
Since my original post I've also thought - I'd like some sort of adjustment (do they all have adjustment?) so that I can start off with a loose fitting so that I can be sure of easily removing my foot, until I get used to it.

Yes, with a 3mm allen key very easy...

MajorMantra

ron4322 said:
Thanks all for the comments so far.

Can anyone advise which models can be serviced and which cannot (unless you have the special tool), or is there anywhere I can find out?

Edit: Also, more questions - are the larger mtb pedals more comfortable than the smaller road pedals due to the wider and longer foot bed, or doesn't it matter?

I think the M520s need the special tool and the more expensive SPDs (M540 and upwards) don't but I could be remembering that wrong. The more expensive pedals may be a false economy though - M520s will run for thousands and thousands of miles without servicing and the special tool is about £2 whilst M540s are about £14 more than M520s.

In general the more 'road' oriented a pedal is, the more contact are and hence comfort it will offer. True roal pedals like SPD-SLs offer a much larger and stiffer attachment than basic SPDs but even the smallest ones are pretty comfortable as long as you don't have ultra-flexy shoes. Did you buy your Lidl shoes in the most recent sale? I ask because I have some of these and they are pretty flexable compared to some shoes.I've not had any problems with them but I haven't covered more than about 25 miles whilst wearing them.

Matthew

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are worried about being able to service the pedal you can get access to the Shimano technical documentation here. The Shimano A530 which I recommended and the Shimano M647 which JiMBR recommended. Looking at the A530 on my bike the tools you would need are a 15mm spanner, a 3mm allen key and a philips screwdriver, hardly special tools...

Correction there is a special removal tool (TLPD40), available for the massive sum of £2.42, or less ... :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Get some Crank Bros Eggbeaters, either Candy or Eggbeater C. They don't need servicing, adjusting or special tools. You just need to learn how to use them.

OP
OP
R

ron4322

MajorMantra said:
I think the M520s need the special tool and the more expensive SPDs (M540 and upwards) don't but I could be remembering that wrong. The more expensive pedals may be a false economy though - M520s will run for thousands and thousands of miles without servicing and the special tool is about £2 whilst M540s are about £14 more than M520s.

In general the more 'road' oriented a pedal is, the more contact are and hence comfort it will offer. True roal pedals like SPD-SLs offer a much larger and stiffer attachment than basic SPDs but even the smallest ones are pretty comfortable as long as you don't have ultra-flexy shoes. Did you buy your Lidl shoes in the most recent sale? I ask because I have some of these and they are pretty flexable compared to some shoes.I've not had any problems with them but I haven't covered more than about 25 miles whilst wearing them.

Matthew

Thanks, that's useful.

I'd got it into my head that the tool was something exotic and more expensive than the pedals - I don't know why. So that's clearly not an issue.

I have in fact got 2 pairs of Lidl shoes - an older pair that I am using and a newer pair which I've not yet worn. The pair I'm using are not particularly stiff - certainly nothing like as stiff as some old leather road shoes I had years ago, but still noticably stiffer than normal trainers. My commute is only 15 miles each way, so I guess not likely to be much of a problem, anyway.

Now another question for anyone who's not totally sick of my lack of knowledge on this subject - the Lidl shoes have an oval shaped recess filled by a pad held by 2 screws. I understand that this is compatible with Shimano SPD. Is this all SPDs? How do I tell which pedals suit a recessed cleat (which I want) and not a cleat which sticks out below the shoe? Or are they all recessed? Sorry that these are daft questions, but internet searches never seem to exactly answer my questions, and photos in brochures seem to show just the pedals and do not show the cleats.

MajorMantra

Your shoes will work with any 2 bolt MTB style pedal. The most common types are probably SPD, Time Atac, Eggbeaters, and Speedplay Frogs and there are some others as well. If a pedal is sold as MTB specific then it will probably work and you should be able to tell from looking at a picture of the cleats.

Road pedals are NOT recessed and only fit road shoes which usually use 3 bolts or sometimes 4.

Matthew

OP
OP
R

ron4322

HJ said:
If you are worried about being able to service the pedal you can get access to the Shimano technical documentation here. The Shimano A530 which I recommended and the Shimano M647 which JiMBR recommended. Looking at the A530 on my bike the tools you would need are a 15mm spanner, a 3mm allen key and a philips screwdriver, hardly special tools...

Correction there is a special removal tool (TLPD40), available for the massive sum of £2.42, or less ... :biggrin:

Thanks, that's useful.

JiMBR

The vast majority of shoes will have a recessed cleat, which is a good thing.

You will always get the 'crunching' effect when walking in them, due to uneven ground etc.

(I have cracked a bathroom floor tile with my SPD's, but that's because the floor is badly laid and so uneven). :biggrin:

OP
OP
R

ron4322

MajorMantra said:
Your shoes will work with any 2 bolt MTB style pedal. The most common types are probably SPD, Time Atac, Eggbeaters, and Speedplay Frogs and there are some others as well. If a pedal is sold as MTB specific then it will probably work and you should be able to tell from looking at a picture of the cleats.

Road pedals are NOT recessed and only fit road shoes which usually use 3 bolts or sometimes 4.

Matthew

Thanks. I've just seen the cleats on the Crank Bros website, and can see the similarity to the pictures HJ posted of the Shimano cleats.

Thanks to everyone - its all beginning to come together now - I think.

Top Bottom