Which Computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick

Does anyone have any views on which computer they'd recommend &/or buy again if they were looking for a replacement? I'm looking for odo, trip, speed (current, avg & max) as given functions - time, either current &/or elapsed would be useful additions - so, nothing too fancy but it must be reliable and well put together.

I note that wireless is not popular with most members, so I guess that a wired unit such as the VDO A8 would be suitable.

I have an old Sigma wired unit on my aging hybrid (both date back to circa 1992/3) and this has proved to be OK but I have a new road bike on order which will need such an item.

Thanks,

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I like the Planet Bike Protoge 9.0. It displays all of the info that you mentioned. A feature that I like, is that, compared to some others, it displays the most info at one time, with the least amount of fiddling. No little buttons to deal with.

rusky

CC Addict
I have a VDO A8. Does what you want and you can mount it on the bars or stem, this swung it for me as my bars have enough on them!

It also fixes well, a 90degree twist rather than a small spring clip.

I like my Blackburn Delphi 4. A little on the large side, but I like the display, the back light, and the option of 2 wheel sizes to use on 2 bikes.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
halfords actually do a good cheap and reliable computer. 8 function, good in the wet :smile:

they have quite a few different ones at the moment but this is the one i have. can't fault it apart from the fact it has halfords written on it...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_196877_langId_-1_categoryId_165741

i also have a cateye velo 8, again well made and does the job. only thing is this one plays up in heavy rain...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=26193

Don't buy one of these!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28216

Don't know what the 1 star review says in Spanish(?) but from the tone of it, I can tell that I agree with every word!

Babelfish says: "The sensor of the wheel has a very bad design and as the spiral of the screw fixes that it to the radius is of plastic, in the end it moves and it does not signal to the computer, nor is happened to you to buy it"

Quite. Plus average speed just says "ERR" so I have to reset the whole thing and lose all data. Or use the Blackburn that replaced the piece of plasticky crap.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The VDO Digital series is a very good wireless lot. A recent bike mag test found that it never suffered any interference, despite their best efforts.

Noodley

Polar are good wireless computers - never had any problems with mine in the few of years I've had it.

OP
OP
M

Mick

OK - thanks all. Clearly personal choice will throw up different "survey" results but I'm inclined towards the VDO, if for no other reason than the manufacturer's 5 year warranty - thanks HJ for providing advice on that feature.

Top Bottom