Which freewheel sprocket do I get for my fixie please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rimmer

On a whim I bought a fixie for a good price @ £55 - as pictured - but tbh, I just can't get used to not freewheeling. Now I know I need to simply screw on a freewheel sprocket but are they any size, teeth or quality considerations based on the configuration of my bike?

Could you post a link so I can just get one that suits the bike. (sorry fixies are just not intuitive for me).

Thanks and here are the pics.

50401589671_ac1112948c_c.jpg

50401747502_b1574fd30e_c.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Look at Dicta freewheels on velosolo. Cheap and not super quality, but should last a few seasons. An ideal gear is about 68", but depends on your terrain and fitness. If the flip side has a fixed sprocket, then never a worry about fails on the freewheel.

If you use shimano or other high quality ones, you need to be certain on the size you need, otherwise it will cost to keep changing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Do you have a flip flop hub, fixed one side, freewheel the other side?

Sharky

Guru
Peugeot make a single-speed with a 56 inch gear (36/18 x 28).
https://cycles.peugeot.com/urban/legend/lu01

It's probably best to check how many teeth are on your fixed sprocket and then get a freewheel with 2 less. It will be harder to pedal without the kinetic energy stored in the rear wheel.
I would probably go the other way and use a larger freewheel than the fixed sprocket. My view is you need a ratio to climb the steepest climb on your normal route and for descents, you just freewheel if the descents are too quick.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I would probably go the other way and use a larger freewheel than the fixed sprocket. My view is you need a ratio to climb the steepest climb on your normal route and for descents, you just freewheel if the descents are too quick.
Sorry, that was a typo. I've now corrected it.

midlife

Guru
Didn't notice the tensioner, but I can't believe you need one with horizontal dropouts.

Yep, such an odd setup....

D

Deleted member 1258

Peugeot make a single-speed with a 56 inch gear (36/18 x 28).
https://cycles.peugeot.com/urban/legend/lu01

It's probably best to check how many teeth are on your fixed sprocket and then get a freewheel with 2 more. It will be harder to pedal without the kinetic energy stored in the rear wheel.

Looking at the website and they're talking about it as a fixed but showing a bike with a single speed freewheel. :eek::wacko: I like it, but I'd want it as a fixed with a bigger gear than 56, my genesis has a 44 x 17 68" gear

All uphill

Still rolling along
That looks like a nice frame and fork - Carlton, maybe?

Certainly a good buy so long as that fresh looking paint is not covering up any nasties.

I agree with the other comments that the tensioner shouldn't be needed. Getting rid of it will reduce friction, noise and weight a little.

It looks to me like it's on something like 50/16. If you are strong and live somewhere that doesn't have hills that may be fine, but I couldn't get to the end of my road on that!

For me I'd keep the crankset and put a 19 tooth freewheel on the back.

You may need to apply some serious force to get the old sprocket off!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A 60" gear works well for a singlespeed. Get one with 1/2.33 times the number of teeth on the chainring (or the closest available).

Sharky

Guru
Looking at the website and they're talking about it as a fixed but showing a bike with a single speed freewheel. :eek::wacko: I like it, but I'd want it as a fixed with a bigger gear than 56, my genesis has a 44 x 17 68" gear
Same 44x17 on my SS, but a slightly larger 50x14 on my fixed for TT's only.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Can I put in a plea to persevere with fixed , your right it's not easy to start with , there will be a few " heart in mouth" moments, but if you stick with it you'll forget the scary bits and actually enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Same 44x17 on my SS, but a slightly larger 50x14 on my fixed for TT's only.

I'm messing about with different gearing at the moment, I had 48 x 19 last winter and going with 44 x 17 for this one, my favourite is 44 x 18.

Top Bottom