Which freewheel sprocket do I get for my fixie please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I'd suggest you look up Sheldon Brown gear inch calculator. Easy to figure out different combos. I second Sharky on losing the tensioner. It is not needed. 70ish gear inches are what many use as a good compromise between spinning out and being geared too high. The terrain you will ride on is the key here...flat or hilly and stout headwinds are what I look at. For winter riding, especially if studded snow tires are involved, I prefer lower gearing than summertime. I went to singlespeed from fixed because the hills I encounter would require me to spin at 140 rpm downhill and I prefer to grind along with much slower rpms. If you can get your gearing right you may find the simplicity of fixed and single speed to be a real treat. For some reason I find single speed or fixed feels easier than a geared bike with that same gearing.

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

Well I'm going to need to get some tools soon so that I can do this work myself - Aldi are selling this toolkit - will it be all that I need for the work necessary? Seems a good price for all that's included - but I need your opinions first...

50418023573_6d2e7916ca_c.jpg

50418714271_6ddfe776be_c.jpg

12boy

Guru
Looks complete although eventually you may want a cable/cablehousing cutter, a quick link pliers, perhaps headset wrenches, and cone wrenches but they can wait if you like. The question is how well are those made? When I've paid more for Park tools, I've found them very durable.

Top Bottom