Which freewheel sprocket do I get for my fixie please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rimmer

Didn't notice the tensioner, but I can't believe you need one with horizontal dropouts.

Many people have queried the tensioner - I don't know anything about the technicalities of bikes (I just bought this on a whim) so the mention of 'horizontal dropouts' draws a blank until I get used to all this lovely stuff

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

Can I put in a plea to persevere with fixed , your right it's not easy to start with , there will be a few " heart in mouth" moments, but if you stick with it you'll forget the scary bits and actually enjoy it.

I do find it difficult-ish - I wouldn't mind a tip on how to slow down on a fixie while currently it is a fixie. Do you put a little bit of resistive force against the forward motion of the pedalling (plus brakes - in fact do you even need brakes when expert at this?) - or do you let your legs relax completely and just apply brakes?

Sharky

Guru
I do find it difficult-ish - I wouldn't mind a tip on how to slow down on a fixie while currently it is a fixie. Do you put a little bit of resistive force against the forward motion of the pedalling (plus brakes - in fact do you even need brakes when expert at this?) - or do you let your legs relax completely and just apply brakes?
Just use your brakes as normal to slow down and stop. Back force will slow you down, but at any great speed will rip your legs off. If both brake cables snapped, you could come to a stop, but would take a huge distance.

You can do skid stops (I can't), but dangerous and illegal if you don't have a front brake as well.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Good question, braking technique I had to think about this. First my bikes have front and rear brakes so not a hipster fixie skidder . I use a combination of your method , to skim of some speed for example bends in country lane or turning left or right, a transmission brake technique back pressure on pedals.for more serious braking relax legs and use brakes and back pressure for final stop. I probably did more " leg braking" when I was younger, but the above way is better for my 66 year old knees . Hope this helps and good luck.

Sharky

Guru
Many people have queried the tensioner - I don't know anything about the technicalities of bikes (I just bought this on a whim) so the mention of 'horizontal dropouts' draws a blank until I get used to all this lovely stuff
Remove the tensioner and shorten the chain and just slide the wheel fore/aft to take up the slack.

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

Here's a picture of my rear cog - currently (without taking the chain off) I think i can count 13 teeth on this cog. So - what freewheel cog should I put on the flip side?

50403081833_f5ecab6cd7_c.jpg

50403081828_3dd7fe47e0_c.jpg

50403783871_345b277038_c.jpg

midlife

Guru
the flip side has two threads......so its strictly for a fixed cog. (one set of threads for the cog, the other for the lockring)

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

the flip side has two threads......so its strictly for a fixed cog. (one set of threads for the cog, the other for the lockring)

OK thanks for that - no five speed option here then - for now I will put on an appropriate rear freewheel single cog - what cog will work well with this bike considering it has such a large front chain ring?

If I wanted to go five speed I guess I just need to buy this (not sure though)? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-REAR-Hybrid-Bike-Cycle-Wheel-5-SPEED-FREEWHEEL-/251696079161

Sharky

Guru
OK thanks for that - no five speed option here then - for now I will put on an appropriate rear freewheel single cog - what cog will work well with this bike considering it has such a large front chain ring?

If I wanted to go five speed I guess I just need to buy this (not sure though)? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-REAR-Hybrid-Bike-Cycle-Wheel-5-SPEED-FREEWHEEL-/251696079161
Maybe/may be not.
The wheel above has a 135mm OLN (google this term). Your frame being an older model is probably less (126mm?). It's not going to be easy.

The wheel you have looks like a double fixed hub, but you will be able to screw on a single freewheel on one side.

I think you will need to pick up some new technical skills. Particularly how to split a chain and re join it. If you are going for a larger freewheel than you currently have, you will probably need a new chain.

Good luck

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A 60" gear works well for a singlespeed.
For lovers of high cadence... That equates to ~29 kph (18mph) for 100 rpm! I prefer 90 rpm, corresponding to only ~26 kph (16 mph)

My 52/19 singlespeed gear is ~72", equating to ~31kph (19mph) at 90 rpm and I often feel undergeared on the flat. If I didn't have hills to consider I would prefer more like 52/17, ~81", giving me ~35 kph (22 mph) at 90 rpm.

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

Maybe/may be not.
The wheel above has a 135mm OLN (google this term). Your frame being an older model is probably less (126mm?). It's not going to be easy.

The wheel you have looks like a double fixed hub, but you will be able to screw on a single freewheel on one side.

I think you will need to pick up some new technical skills. Particularly how to split a chain and re join it. If you are going for a larger freewheel than you currently have, you will probably need a new chain.

Good luck

Yep - technical skills (other than IT which is my profession) are going to need to roll on in. For now - to keep things easy - do I simply get a freewheel 13 toothed cog which sits on the existing hub - then flip the rear wheel around?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

You use your brakes and legs. Helps you stop even quicker. Let's just say my fixed was a bit of a weapon for commuting, and I'd wear rims out in 18 months because of all the braking needed ! :ohmy:

You really don't want a tensioner on a fixed - not a good idea and fairly likely to cause the chain to come off or jam. Tensioners are OK on single speeds with a freewheel, but not fixed. Don't try leg braking with a tensioner.

Sharky

Guru
Yep - technical skills (other than IT which is my profession) are going to need to roll on in. For now - to keep things easy - do I simply get a freewheel 13 toothed cog which sits on the existing hub - then flip the rear wheel around?
You won't be able to find a 13t freewheel, You can with a fixed sprocket, but a freewheel mechanism inside the freewheel restricts the size it can be.
Be aware that BMX sprockets can be smaller, but I think that the hub thread size is also smaller.

To get the right size, assume that your wheel is 27" in diameter, then multiply by the number of teeth on the chainwheel and divide by the number on the rear sprocket. If the result is greater than 70, then you are going to have hard time on any incline.

Good luck - as an IT person, you should be Agile.

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

To get the right size, assume that your wheel is 27" in diameter, then multiply by the number of teeth on the chainwheel and divide by the number on the rear sprocket. If the result is greater than 70, then you are going to have hard time on any incline.

Good luck - as an IT person, you should be Agile.

Interesting maths - well with 50T on front and 13T on rear - that equates to 104 !!!
Meaning I should really be looking for a 20T or 19T in that case

Sharky

Guru
Interesting maths - well with 50T on front and 13T on rear - that equates to 104 !!!
Meaning I should really be looking for a 20T or 19T in that case
The maths is to calculate the equivalent wheel diameter of a penny farthing. If it was a penny farthing wheel, you would need an inside leg measurement of more than 52".

This is where the long tradition of expressing gear ratios in inches comes from.

There are online web pages (bikecalc) that does a more accurate calc based on metric wheel sizes.

A 104" gear is a monster. Dedicated timetrialists may use such a gear for short distance flat timetrials, but for general riding, you need one around 70" or less.

Yep a 19t or 20t is probably what you need or a smaller chain ring.

Good luck

Top Bottom