Which helmet for warmer weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

I have a tendency to 'overheat' in warmer weather and last year didn't wear a helmet in the summer because of this. In the winter I didn't need a cap under my helmet just a band to cover my ears.

I currently have a Bell Slant helmet which is supposed to keep your head quite cool but now its getting warmer again I find I am already getting really hot. Is there a helmet out there that is specifically made for warmer weather/climates?

I gave up cycling in Australia when they made helmet wearing compulsory due to this very problem.

jimboalee

When I buy a helmet, I don't put the sponges in - they accumulate sweat. I rip out the Velcro tabs as well - they hurt my scalp when the sponges are missing.

I always wear a helmet. Especially when its hot. Colour - silver ( reflective ).

It has been known for me to spray some water from my bottle down the centre vent on the very top of the helmet.

One additional reason to keep one bottle with ONLY water in it.

Strange thing about helmets, they are like thermos flasks - cool in summer, warm in winter; but how do they know?

Chris James

Über Member
I have a Giro Atmos which isn't too bad. Previous, older and cheaper, helmets left me blinded with sweat when the temperature went above 20 degrees.

Despite the bragging of the manufacturers about how good their venting is, I have never felt cooler wearing a helmet than not wearing one.

i go back to a baseball cap when the temp goes up. the atmos i have is too hot.but then i'm old school and have never been comfortable with a helmet

Chris James

Über Member
piedwagtail91 said:
i go back to a baseball cap when the temp goes up. the atmos i have is too hot.but then i'm old school and have never been comfortable with a helmet

I'm pretty old school too! I find the Atmos okay. A cap is better.

monnet

Guru
I've used a Spesh Propero through the summer and found it fine (until I got pushed off andit cracked). I've now got a Spesh 2D S-Works which seems pretty cool. I stop the sweat drip problem with a cotton cap. It sounds counter intuitive but the cap soaks the sweat up and protects your head from the sun. Well, it works for me.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Off topic but..

I've often wondered why helmets have to protect the top of the head, you could have one almighty vent in the top and the protective bit in a band around the side of the head.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use a wicking skull cap (my wife makes them out of something called 'power dry' - and also my base layers).

I've got a Bell Volt - the cap soaks the sweat, the helmet evaporates it.... The Volt is freezing in the winter and needs a windproof skull cap under it.

Try a well vented helmet with a buff or skull cap

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Thanks for all your replies, my current helmet has 21 vents and is still too hot. I guess there is no real answer except do what I did last year and not wear it in the heat.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I overheated dramatically, and was blinded by the sweat, last month and that's before it gets warm. It does make me wonder if any cycling accidents could be have been caused by side effects of overheating via a helmet?

Top Bottom