Which is the greatest bicycle innovation in the last thirty years?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The SIS brifter, no need to remove hands from the hoods to change gears and no guessing how much to move the gear lever.

^^ this. By a mile.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
None of the above. It's the mental shift that has recognised the bike as a reasonable mode of transport for an adult, and that has therefore created a market for the technological improvements. Without growing numbers of cyclists there'd be no decent brakes, no LED headlights, no STI systems. And without that mental shift there wouldn't be growing numbers of cyclists.

But it you had to pin me down to a bit of technology, it's the LED headlight by a country mile. It makes cycling a realistic option after dark on unlit streets for Joe Bloggs.

Without growing numbers of cyclists there'd be no decent brakes, no LED headlights, no STI systems. And without that mental shift there wouldn't be growing numbers of cyclists.

How do you explain the fact that there was no 'growing market' for cyclists in 1990, when STI was first introduced on to road bikes? The whole sport was on its ar5e back then - and MAMILS were nowhere to be seen.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2749562, member: 30090"]Recumbents becoming more mainstream, we are the Lords of cycling. Ergonomically sound, works with the mechanics of the human body rather then against, you can draft uprights but they cannot draft you - what's not to like?[/quote]
Recumbent trikes possibly. Recumbents with two wheels are just a falling over waiting to happen.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The much maligned Cannondale Headshock & Lefty suspension system

Threadless forks.

I was going to post that no one had mentioned suspension forks, but you spoilt it. No one has pointed out suspension systems generally. I don't think they are much use except for going over rough ground very quickly, and then only if you have lock out for going up the hill. Lots of commuter bikes are sold with them.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Maybe because I grew up with them, I've never found friction shifters to be a problem. I've got a bike with bar end shifters and the indexing went out over a year ago. It probably needs about half a turn on the barrel but I simply switched the shifter from indexed to friction - about 2 seconds work - and I've never bothered to index it since. I actually prefer the directness of friction shifting.

Ail ou Radis

Spend a week on a bicycle from 1983 with 1983 components and the answer will come quickly. Hard to identify a single thing, but these are all in the mix:
1. Tyre technology - grip and anti-puncture.
2. Brake effectiveness.
3. Swapping cogs from the handlebars.
4. Lamps.
5. Clothing. (Who wants woollen shorts again?)
6. Clipless pedal systems.

Thing that does not qualify?

1. Lighter materials. Ride a good steel bike from 1983 and the weight will seem irrelevent most of the time.

Top Bottom