Which mapping site is easiest to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Google maps
Bikely
mapmy ride
bike route toaster
some other one??

...I need to plan in a route and create/save to gpx file quickly and easily...so which one to go for?

RedBike

I use bike route toaster

Just click away and it automatically plots your route on the left of the nearest road. Automatically adding waypoints (if needed) at junctions / on long stretches.

jags

Guru
btfb what garmin did you get i must have missed that one,i reckon these satnav are the way to go as long as you know how they work ,myself i have no idea dont think i'll ever know,

RedBike

I am using bikeroutetaoster right now...but I cannot seem to find how I save my routes to my hard drive / memory stick as a GPX file for uploading to my new Garmin?

It's very easy.
You just click the summary tab at the top of the map/screen
Then in the download box (bottom left) click gpx - You don't need to fill in all those detaiils.

jags

Guru
oh there is a video on you tube ,garmin gps map 60csx crash course part 1 if you haven't seen it well it could give you some help have fun.

RedBike

I like the terrain function on google maps...bike toaster doesnt have it...it's good for planning to avoid big hills/mountains etc.

Just click view in google earth (on the summary page).
Perhaps a combination of the two!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Yep I've seen it...I have 2 days to learn it lol!

Hi Redbike,,,thats perfect thanks..I just saved a file. So hopefully I will be able to upload it to the gps when it arrives. Ta.

RedBike

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your GPS unit.
I tend to plot my routes on B.R.Toaster then upload them to the Garmin via the trip and waypoint manager.

Once loaded onto the Garmin I tend to forget all about trying to follow that map and just leave it on the screen with the big arrow. There's just no way I read that map while i'm riding along. Mind you I only have the grey scale version (the Legend)

If I go off-route (the arrows pointing in a daft direction) I stop and switch over to the map.
Normally its easy to see how to get between the arrow pointing where you are and the thick black line representing the plotted route;

If I want to work out how to get somewhere (other than on the plotted route) I always use tomtom on my mobile. It's just so much clearer. It's just a shame the batteries don't last very long.

Top Bottom