Which Mat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
For really superlightweight backpacking trips I use a sheet of 6 mm closed cell foam. Similar material to the roll-mats but without the bulk. Plenty of insulation even on cold ground. I can fold it so it fits in the back of my rucksac (in place of the built-in padding) so it fills two purposes. Not easy to get hold, I bought a job lot some years ago from a supplier to people who make orthopaedic insoles. On hard ground it scores zero for comfort.
I do keep being tempted by these.

I've also used a Wee Airic from Alpkit - excellent value, but in the next class up weight wise, around 400g, similar thing to a short Thermarest, but a lot cheaper, comes supplied with a PRK - which I have never had occasion to use. For a similar weight, but less packed bulk, and more comfort I think next time I'd go for a full-length NeoAir.

In the end though, whatever you choose it's a trade off between weight/cost/comfort - there is no "ideal" balance between these.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Just back last night. At the last minute I took my wifes bright pink £1 shop lilo. It was fine, comfy, totaly insulated me from the hard ground in places, though I did get some strange looks as I blew it up. It also survived the trip intact without losing air.
Thanks for all the advice. Beware Biarritz airport though. They attempted to refuse our CTC plastic bagged bikes at the easyjet counter and decided to refuse us permission to fly until we bought and repacked into boxes. Very, very rude and arrogant staff. Called us liars and said they were not bike bags. Eventually we demanded to see the airport manager who came down and eventually, at our insistance checked Ejets website. They then, gave in over the bags but it put us off and we would not return.

Jim

Top Bottom