Which mudguards??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

a pic of my Surly showing part of the Velo Orange full stainless steel mudguards and matching Kleen Kanteen stainless steel waterbottles:

PORZG2EQK2FBEZ020sfE_mkIV6FByjqWpKjf9zlZZRQ-2048x1536.jpg

Venod

Eh up
SKS Longboards ,

Mudguards are being referred to as Fenders more and more in the UK, lets nip it in the bud.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-longboard-mudguard-set/rp-prod68581

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
Dolomite 6 a decent hack I supppose.
The GB ones are dead nice then. The only reason I didn't get them on mine is they're too wide for the chainstay gap. Having said that I intend to get some soon enough and see if i can get a workshop to mod them to fit, my current ones don't quite keep my feet dry

I've just popped on some SKS Bluemels - they were a paid in the ass to fit but they are very good now installed.
Yes. Just fitted some to a new build. £12.50 from Decathlon - special offer.

Discussed mudguard fitting with a very experienced cyclist on a recent CTC ride.

We both pretty much agreed that it isn't a short job.

In fact you need to reserve half a day to be sure of getting it right.

But once fitted, SKS guards are great. Solid as a rock. Will last for years, and even if they eventually start to suffer, you can keep them going for a few years more with judicious use of duck/gorilla tape. Bling? Who gives a sod.

Some of the retro/trendy metal guards strike me as dangerous - no quick release on the front wheel.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Yes. Just fitted some to a new build. £12.50 from Decathlon - special offer.

Discussed mudguard fitting with a very experienced cyclist on a recent CTC ride.

We both pretty much agreed that it isn't a short job.

In fact you need to reserve half a day to be sure of getting it right.

But once fitted, SKS guards are great. Solid as a rock. Will last for years, and even if they eventually start to suffer, you can keep them going for a few years more with judicious use of duck/gorilla tape. Bling? Who gives a sod.

Some of the retro/trendy metal guards strike me as dangerous - no quick release on the front wheel.

Hi. The Decathlon ones are over 40 mm wide. Won't they look too big and wide on my pinnicle??

Hi. The Decathlon ones are over 40 mm wide. Won't they look too big and wide on my pinnicle??
I don't know - you haven't posted any details or pics of your bike have you?
Can't remember size of my guards as I don't have the packaging to hand - only one size was discounted to £12.50 and they are black - seem to remember they will take tyres up to 32mm - bike they are fitted to has 28mm tyres at the mo. Looks fine to me. If it helps I can maybe post a pic.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I don't know - you haven't posted any details or pics of your bike have you?
Can't remember size of my guards as I don't have the packaging to hand - only one size was discounted to £12.50 and they are black - seem to remember they will take tyres up to 32mm - bike they are fitted to has 28mm tyres at the mo. Looks fine to me. If it helps I can maybe post a pic.
Hmmm maybe it will be ok. I can only run 25mm tires with full guards or 28 gaurdless.

freiston

Veteran
If they are good and rigid (quite likely with the retro-styled guards as the metal is of a substantial gauge and the curvature adds strength), then this isn't so much of an issue because the guard isn't likely to fold up under the fork, especially if there are two sets of stiff stainless steel stays (as is sometimes the case with such style of mudguards)
Edit addendum: but I do agree that break-away stays are safer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom