Which Nutters cycled in then......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
I did, 13 miles, a bit slower than the norm. -7 deg. C. at one point and foggy in places as well :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well did the school run ... me pointing out the ice and suggesting that he got off his bike at one point ... he with his 8 yo confidence said it was fine and carried on riding whilst I walked that bit. I was very cold by the end of it though.

Did see other cyclists when I went upto the main road afterwards - trying to get nice ice photos - didn't quite achieve what I wanted. But certainly less than half the normal amount I would see.

gbb

Legendary Member
I only have a short commute, but no problems on the road. Bit slippery on the footpaths from my house to the road.
Minus 5 here.
The irony is, i didnt really feel the cold on the way in, but i'm a damn sight colder now i'm at work :sad:
Missed my Bolle glasses this morning, stingy eyes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yep - although only on the Brompton (6 mile roundtrip plus the train).

Crewe Road seemed ok for the most part, roads in Manchester were lethal in places, as were the pavements (I got off and walked) & cyclepaths.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Far too much packed ice after the snow a couple of days ago.

The main roads weren't good - I wheel spinned the car from the traffic lights on a heavily used main road - ice..... Will give it a few days - some of the roads looked OK, but none of the cyclists I saw were actually getting a 'work out' from riding - all gignerly picking their way along.....back to the turbo tonight.

Grit only works to -5...... Oldham saw -10 on the tops....

TWBNK

Worked all over Christmas and never stopped cycling in. The nice bike has gone into hiding and I am using the hybrid for when i fall off. Which I did. So I was glad.

Speaking for myself it's more to do with safety than the bike mechanics - I just hate ice. This is the first year I've actually skipped the commute in favour of the bus. Knowing my luck, if I chanced it on my bike I'd fall off and crack a bone or something and be laid up for weeks.

Matty

I did. Took it steady. Only real issue was having to bite the ice off the water bottle before taking a drink!

Figured that if I didn't cycle today it would be the car all week judging by the forecast. Yuk to a week of queues.

garrilla

I went the short-direct approach today so only 3.5miles, partly because of the conditions, partly as its first day back and partly because the forecast prolly means no riding later in the week. The roads didn't appear too bad, but then we have had the bbest of the weather over the past few days.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I was all ready to, but then got a text from Tharg saying he was going in the car (the wuss)... I thought it only fair to join him so that he wouldn't get jealous in his little steel cage. :smile:

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it! :sad:

I cycled in too - 9 miles into the City.

Was surprised that there were not many cars/lorries/vans etc on the road. Perhaps some lucky ones have a bit of an extended holiday. But then there were quite a lot of cyclists out there. Surprising. Even more surprising were the true nutters out there in snow & ice-free London. They fall into two camps:

(1) those cycling with bare legs and those without a hat or some other garment to keep their heads warm.
(2) those who leave the bike locked up and commute by tube on a glorious day like this.

I took it easy on this first day in after two weeks' holiday and non-cycling. Stayed comfy and warm with, for added warmth, a balaclava, thermal long johns, overshoes, knee warmers, plus my combo of liner & winter gloves. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and was actually wondering what the reason was for the large number of cyclists out there today. New Year's resolutions for healthy & active living including weight loss, cycling to cut down public transport spending, or just a realisation that it was going to be a beautiful day?

Top Bottom