Which Nutters cycled in then......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mycroft

Sod that for a lark.

I'd rather not break either me or the bike, Packed ice is ridiculous here. then theres the risk of rubber wheeled chunks of metal losing control and crushing - my bike!

went out for a walk last night in minus 11 and that was cold enough :sad:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I did, I'm on a slicked up mtb and went out dressed like an arctic explorer and a bit careful going dwon the hills but made it in fine. It's not really snowed much here so the roads were cold but mainly dry.

Temperature -4

Whrrr

-4 and made it in ok, if only to take a few minutes longer. It's bike, walk or nothing (14 miles round trip) - no car and no bus route! Wacanyadooo...?

patheticshark

I did. 40 miles, metcheck reckoned it was -4 and felt -9.

I thought I'd done OK with the thermal jerseys and soft shells and sealskinz and goretex boots etc. I was wrong. I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life.

RedBike

-9 here.

I tested out a new set of ice tyres by riding down a frozen stream. (It isn't every deep if the ice had cracked). I had no problems riding along but when I stopped to lift the bike back up the embankment I went flying and my foot went through the ice.

I had one VERY cold foot for the rest of my commute in.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
About -5. Easy ride in on the 'cross bike. Frost was heavy enough to give the trees a nice coating, beautiful. My route was almost completely free of ice (a little frozen run-off from some fields, but just at the edge of the road) some of the lanes looked dodgy though. Extra base layer kept me nice and warm.

Might get a chance to try out my Schwalbe snow studs later in the week.

Yep, no idea about the temp, but roads very quiet as most scots have a public holiday. Mind you that also meant that the snow dumped on us on Saturday night restricted the riding to the wheel tracks.

Trevrev

Veteran
I did cycle in this morning. Not sure how cold it was at 6 this morning when i left. Locks where frozen on my shed and gate, which is a good sign it was bloody cold. Also my brakes were frozen which was a pain. So all in all it was a slow start to my day.
Then my rear mech cable snapped inside the housing. ;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I didn't have a thermometer but it was bloody cold.

Back roads have compressed snow, but it's not a big problem because it hasn't thawed and refrozen into ice, just stayed as compressed snow, which is actually quite grippy.

Main roads are a bit slushy in places, but salted and mostly cleared.

I also had trouble with my bike. My tourer has treaded tyres, so I fixed our new helmet camera thingy to that, and then found its gears and chain were frozen solid from Saturday's outing. Ten minutes later, I had one working gear...

I would have taken my fixie, but its slicks are a bit slippy and I didn't want to have to switch the camera over.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Cowardice won the day this morning.

Took clean clothes in for the week though - so no excuse tomorrow (but I hope it's not -8 again like this am).

scouserinlondon

no way today. First day blues, hard frost, not packing panniers last night and the fact I'm out for dinner tonight all conspired in my clean bike staying in the house today. I also figured all motorists would be in a bad mood today too so err on the side of caution.

of course the real reason is that I've been stuffing myself with food and alcohol everyday for the last three weeks and the thought of early morning exersice was just too much.

mark i

Came in on the bike, -5C this morning and as I live on a cul de sac the road there was icy. Main roads had not been gritted (-5!, what no grit.....). Just sat in the left side tyre tracks from the cars (yes it was that badly frosted that you could see the tyre tracks.) Not a bad cycle in if all be told, but very cold and slightly slippy in places. Hoping for some grit this evening...

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
RedBike said:
-9 here.

I tested out a new set of ice tyres by riding down a frozen stream. (It isn't every deep if the ice had cracked).

Ooh, which ones.....

I'm thinking of using the TPT to get most of the way into work, which means about 2 miles road, then TPT then another mile at the end.

Top Bottom