Which pedal/cleat system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I started out with an MTB and after a bit moved from the usual platforms to SPDs. When I got a roady I carried on and got some SPDs for that. 2 bikes, 2 pairs of shoes, same cleat system. The roadies now a commuter. Fully 'panniered up'.

Birthday came along and I figured I wanted a new bike (toy....) for those weekend training rides. So I wnet out, got one and even went out on my first group ride :-) I'd got a spare set of SPD pedals so I had the original pedals put in a bag rather than on the bike. After the group ride, there was the usual chat. There were a few newbies there and some discussion about pedal systems. This included some suggestion that the 'look'(?) pedals were better for riding than SPDs. Its the former type I have sat in a carrier bag.

I'm now wondering as to opinion of the 2 systems. Is there any advantage in using the original pedal system on the new bike or am I just as well off sticking with the SPDs?

Canrider

Guru
LOOK is a brand name. IIRC they have a larger cleat, which some claim spreads the pedaling force out over a larger area, resulting in a more comfortable foot. I've never used them. Also IIRC, SPD-SL are an attempt to imitate LOOK cleats. I've only used old-style SPD, road and MTB, and never had a complaint. But a bit like tyres a lot of this is down to personal taste and preference.

On your specific question, there is no advantage to using the pedals that came with the bike beyond your own preference of clipless pedal system (ie, the bike won't work 'better' with its stock pedals).

lejogger

Guru
I'm the opposite to you... I've only ever had Look pedals - even on my road converted MTB.
I think the idea is that they have a larger surface area which enables you to put more power down and are also therefore more comfortable as the load is spread across the foot. They're just a bit of a pain to walk in because of the big block cleat on the bottom of your shoe.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There are two types of look pedal systems the Keo and the Delta, the Delta is the slightly older system the Keo is newer and more common. Shimano make a similar system the sdp-sl none of them work with each other. although they all use the same shoe type with a three bolt cleat that stands proud of the sole.
I use Look Keos which I find excellent but the others I am sure are fine to.

For Saturday Cafe Runs, for nearly every run in my last club and nearly every leisure run (including rides of up to 150miles), I use the mtb type spd's, I use them with A520 touring pedals which have a cage, so there's no comfort issue for me and I use them with a stiffer pair of bg mtb sports so I doubt there's much performance issues; the walkability bonuses far out weigh any negative. On the fastest of club runs and Hill TTs, I do however, use road type spd-sl but they are also on my better bike and I doubt there is much noticeable performance benefits from road shoe/cleats.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thanks guys. I reckon you've answered my question. With no definite advantage to trying the 'new' system I might as well stick with SPDs over the 3 bikes.

Willo

As with HLaB I use SPDs on my road bike with stiff/rigid soled MTB shoes, sidi dominator 5s, which other than some minimal tread to recess the cleat are v.similar to a road shoe. At my standard I doubt I'd get any benefit from a different platform and the SPDs allow flexibility for commuting and the odd weekend spin. Use them with Shimano A530 pedals.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Look Keo road cleats and shoes are fantastic over any SPD system as they are more connected and give excellent support...............

............Although not that much.

Downside with the Keo / Delta or most plastic road cleats is they wear out just looking at them.

Also off the bike they are useless. Id stick with SPD's (MTB, Touring systems) unless you wanna go into competition cycling

Canrider

Guru
That's a good point YahudaMoon. I've had the same pair of SPD shoes and cleats for...well, quite a long time (c.8-10 years), and while the metal cleats are wearing somewhat where they occasionally touch the ground while walking, there isn't any play when clipped in nor difficulty getting clipped out again. And as HlaB says, walkability trumps power transfer, etc, for me personally.

If your birthday fund allows get Speedplay Zero's, they're the best pedal I've ever used, but the payoff is walking is limited due to the mechanism being incorporated into the cleat, but if you don't walk far then go for it. I just use them on my weekend warrior, and SPD-SL on my commuter :thumbsup:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm with HLaB. MTB Shoes for walkability, but stiff carbon soled ones and a pair of A520 on the road bike. Plenty of power and all my shoes are compatible with all the bikes.

mattsccm

I go for SPD's for all purely for the shoe issue. A new pair of mtb shoes are my road shoes until a summer comes along and the older mtbs fall apart. Everything then shunts along one job and a new pair arrive. Sadly I run 3 levels. Road, summer, general mtb and absolutely crappy , muddy mtb riding with over boots added. I use stiff mtb shoes which are fine for the road and by the time they have had a few year use they have a touch of flex anyway.

Top Bottom