Which Vac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
We used to have a VAX until my wife decided she wanted a Dyson which was the in-thing at the time. Big mistake though because the Dyson turned out to the worst vac we've ever owned. If you want anything near decent suction you have to spend almost as many hours cleaning a Dyson as you do using a Dyson. Anyway, after years of struggling with this piece of over-engineered junk it's time to throw it away once and for all. Myself, I want something simple like a Henry, but just wondering though what everyone else here has and if they like it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
henry-vacuum%C2%A0cleaner-front-300x268.jpg

My butler says: 'No need to look any further or continue the thread.'

andyfraser

Über Member
This isn't really my area but we're currently looking for a new vacuum cleaner.

We had a cheap Morphy Richards (I think it was) and it was terrible. We bought a Vax for £50 in a sale and it would overheat after 15 minutes and needed to cool down for at least 30 minutes. I've used Henrys before and they've been ok. Don't Henrys use bags though?

We currently have a 20 year old Dyson DC01 that we were given. It still works pretty well. My mum swears by her Dyson as does my ex so we're leaning towards another Dyson.

The Gtech AirRam is getting good reviews but I'd like to try before buying.

sight-pin

Veteran
Buy a broom, Trigger had his for 20 years ;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have recently borrowed my mum's Henry and I have to say, I'm very impressed. I'm not a vac connoisseur but besides the fact that the suction is the best I've ever experienced, it's bloody cute. My only gripe is that it does get stuck on corners (due to the clips that keep the hat on) but this just gives you an opportunity to chat to Henry and tell him to "keep up".

I figure there's a reason it's the choice of vacuum for most offices and workplaces.

sight-pin

Veteran
The best hoover i think we have had was the Constellation, it used to float about so easy, really was a great hoover imo. >

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY3TpOTui-8

Edit, Thought i'd add, Also if you plugged the hose in underneath the hoover, it was a good blower as well. Don't seem to see that function on todays hoovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've had 2 Dyson's but things kept snapping off them. I've had a Vax U90-MA-R for 2 1/2 years now and its been superb, was only £90 and is extremley light. The only thing that a Dyson had better was the wand for the stairs etc, but then again I broke a couple of hoses using those. The Vax you have to put the hoses together but it really doesn't take long. If I was after another vacuum cleaner, as dull as a subject as it is, I wouldn't consider a Dyson unless they had halved in price (which isn't going to happen), owning the Vax has taught me that just as effective products can be had for less than half the price of a Dyson :excl:

Top Bottom