Whisky question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
What do the whisky lovers think of Mortlach 16 year old malt? I just bought some for my brother for xmas as an upgrade from Ardmore - hope it's a good one!
Send me the bottle, and I'll tell you.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
any suggestions for a decent brandy ?? I like brandy as much as i like single malts

Sorry about the tardy reply, I've only just got back to work.

I like Hine myself, the Antique XO is one I have enjoyed a lot although it is not cheap. Hine Rare VSOP is a more reasonable price and is to my taste too.
I was given a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP by work last christmas, I was pleasantly surprised how nice that was too. No such thing was forthcoming this Christmas unfortunately. Must spend too long on here in work time!

Ultimately, just like whisky, there will be as many different opinions as there are different cognacs. Try the above, see what you think.

U

User482

Drink it how you like it.
Personally I prefer about 50/50 water to whisky. If I want the alcohol burn, then I'll get someting less refined and cheaper. I think a lot of people are put off whisky by trying it neet, and thinking that diluting it will just result in ridicule.

Nail on head. Though I would add the caveat that if you prefer to add lemonade or coke, single malt is a waste of money.

I did a little taste experiment at the Talisker distillery a few years back. The standard 10 yo was tried with and without ice, and with and without water. My preference was no ice (which killed the taste) and a small quantity of cool water, which seemed to open up more flavour. So, try it yourself and see what you like best.

As for brandy, it would be a pity to limit choices to cognac - I'm a fan of Spanish brandy, particularly Carlos I Gran Reserva, which has a lovely, smooth toffee flavour. It's very good value, too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A little tip that my brother learned from the NCO when he did his one week stint in charge of the bar at Officer training: a teaspoon of brandy tipped into a cheap port makes it taste like an expensive port. Go figure!

Top Bottom