who are pavements for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
There's nothing wrong with occasional and careful use of the pavement by cyclists. Goverment guidelines on the aplication of the law seem to recognise this in advising officers to use their discretion and not to bother overly much with those cyclists who are causing no problem. Obeying a law simply because it is a law is not enough justification when that law is obviously flawed. The fact that dual use of pavements has evolved in places is recognition of the fact that their is need for some flexibility in the law as it stands.

Attention is much better spent on any road user who is actively making a nuicance of themselves. Cyclists who tear along on pavements are being selfish, stupid and dangerous and should get a ticket. On the other hand cyclists who ride carefuly along here and there are in my experience as a cyclist and a pedestrian causing less encumberance to pedestrians than they would if they were to dismount and push their bikes.

There is too much getting cross just for the sake of it and a huge over emphasis of the dangers presented by cyclists on the pavement. A person is more likely to be injured or killed on the pavement by a car than by a bike. The whole issue is usually presented with a hugely skewed perspective and needs a much more reasoned aproach.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Is this switch in argument to "it's selfish" and "it gives cyclists a bad name" an admission that you now realise it's not after all evidence of a deathwish?

Not at all. Something can be wrong for more than one reason.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Could someone with the know-how loop this thread round to the beginning, please (I don't think anyone would notice)? We could then harness all the energy generated by the 'debate', and there would be no need for nuclear power. We could think of this looped thread like wave energy: you keep on going up and down, but don't actually get anywhere.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
How many times do I have to say that the people who have a problem with cyclists don't need a reason. I don't live in rural wales I live in a big city this means that in my 40 years of cycling I have come into contact with a little bit more than 2 tractors and a sheep that's why I have had more abuse than you. nothing to do with my cycling which is safe responsible legal except for the off road bit. I don't RLJ I just don't condemn out of hand those that do.

Rural Wales?????- Your geography is as skewed as your sense of right and wrong.

f you feel people who don't like cyclists do so for no reason then I is there a reason for the apparent growth in negative attitudes towards cyclists?

I love the "safe responsible legal except for.... "bit by the way. Put a smile on my face. Are you saying the the pavement riding is not safe, not responsible and not legal?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well you had a crap teacher who didn't understand the importance of exposure measures if you want to draw conclusions on risk.

But you seem to have extrapolated that lesson to all stats are bollox which is bollox.

Axctually his very first words to use were the most famous quote about stats "The are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics". He may well have been crap. I passed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Could someone with the know-how loop this thread round to the beginning, please (I don't think anyone would notice)? We could then harness all the energy generated by the 'debate', and there would be no need for nuclear power. We could think of this looped thread like wave energy: you keep on going up and down, but don't actually get anywhere.

:thumbsup:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Not at all. Something can be wrong for more than one reason.
So stop trying to change the subject then. The discussion (which you started) was about danger and you have signally failed to demonstrate that red light jumping is necessarily dangerous. Try again?

rowan 46

Über Member
Rural Wales?????- Your geography is as skewed as your sense of right and wrong.

f you feel people who don't like cyclists do so for no reason then I is there a reason for the apparent growth in negative attitudes towards cyclists?

I love the "safe responsible legal except for.... "bit by the way. Put a smile on my face. Are you saying the the pavement riding is not safe, not responsible and not legal?

The bit I was responding to was the implication that I was a crap rider when on the road . I don't know why I talk to you
I know Its illegal I have said so but I won't stop just because you have a childish tantrum everytime something doesn't jibe with your ctc instructors certificate I will not engage in any more converation with you you started on the insults and all I'm hearing from you now is nah nah nah nah get a life or get a girlfriend \boyfriend whatever it takes to make you a bit more human instead of paragon of stuck up your own arse.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I see that your computer science education failed to cover De Morgan's laws

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The bit I was responding to was the implication that I was a crap rider when on the road . I don't know why I talk to you
I know Its illegal I have said so but I won't stop just because you have a childish tantrum everytime something doesn't jibe with your ctc instructors certificate I will not engage in any more converation with you you started on the insults and all I'm hearing from you now is nah nah nah nah get a life or get a girlfriend \boyfriend whatever it takes to make you a bit more human instead of paragon of stuck up your own arse.

You have a strange definition of insults. Anyway enjoy your anarchic lifestyle.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So stop trying to change the subject then. The discussion (which you started) was about danger and you have signally failed to demonstrate that red light jumping is necessarily dangerous. Try again?

The fact that you can not see why it is not dangerous amazes me. Oh well each to their own. Bye bye to the anarchic chapter of CC

Top Bottom