who are pavements for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Although illegal I can safely drive through red lights in my car without any harm. In my eyes it doesn't make it acceptable.

Neither does it in mine. As I say some people on here think that as cyclists they should have immunity from the law.:angry:

I think you live in a world were is an act is beneficial to a cyclist then it is OK. I live in a world were I obey laws. As for stats 0.01% of men involved in Fatal RTC were not wearing underpants. Thus stay safe on the road an go commando.

*If that is the case why is it not legal

Have I said its OK? I've said several times I don't condone it. Just because I contest your characterisation of it as death wish dangerous it does not mean I am saying its OK.

As for underpants if the number of drivers going commando is greater than 0.01% then going commando would be safer; if its less than 0.01% then its more dangerous. Unless you have both figures your analogy is meaningless. Of course its quite likely commando drivers will be safer because of the subconscious voices of their mothers telling them to wear clean underpants ;)

rowan 46

Über Member
I am not suggesting you cater to such people. I am suggesting you show respect to the law of the land.

If the law of the land showed me some respect perhaps I would but the fact is the law gives little protection to cyclists. I stopped reporting incidents where drivers threatened or abused me just because I had the temerity to use a road they were on years ago. It's a fact the police don't take these incidents seriously so If they will not use the law to protect me I will break a few to protect myself. As to pavements are for peds If they are not using it I will If I feel like it. Riding on an empty pavement hurts no one. The police have never challenged me on it because it's not an issue for them they have discretion to ignore the law in this regard and they do. I have seen cyclists who are not responsible pulled over and rightly so If you want to go fast use a road, if there's no room, walk your bike. 95% of my cycling is on road but I occasionally ride on the pavement and I hurt nobody except the sensibilities it seems of some cyclists. The CTC don't like it stuff them I'm not a member they don't represent my views in their entirety. I have no problem with people cycling carefully on a pavement I have no problem with some people RLJ when it's safe. I do have a problem with anybody who drives\ rides\ walks inconsiderately and if you really have a problem with a cyclist using an empty pavement get a life.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If the law of the land showed me some respect perhaps I would but the fact is the law gives little protection to cyclists. I stopped reporting incidents where drivers threatened or abused me just because I had the temerity to use a road they were on years ago. It's a fact the police don't take these incidents seriously so If they will not use the law to protect me I will break a few to protect myself. As to pavements are for peds If they are not using it I will If I feel like it. Riding on an empty pavement hurts no one. The police have never challenged me on it because it's not an issue for them they have discretion to ignore the law in this regard and they do. I have seen cyclists who are not responsible pulled over and rightly so If you want to go fast use a road, if there's no room, walk your bike. 95% of my cycling is on road but I occasionally ride on the pavement and I hurt nobody except the sensibilities it seems of some cyclists. The CTC don't like it stuff them I'm not a member they don't represent my views in their entirety. I have no problem with people cycling carefully on a pavement I have no problem with some people RLJ when it's safe. I do have a problem with anybody who drives\ rides\ walks inconsiderately and if you really have a problem with a cyclist using an empty pavement get a life.

If that many people abuse you when on the roads maybe you should ask questions about your riding ability. Or maybe your attitude.?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
As for underpants if the number of drivers going commando is greater than 0.01% then going commando would be safer; if its less than 0.01% then its more dangerous. Unless you have both figures your analogy is meaningless. Of course its quite likely commando drivers will be safer because of the subconscious voices of their mothers telling them to wear clean underpants ;)

It was the first piece of stats are bollox I learned when doing my Computer Science Degree. :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

This is teh same kind of reply that off road motrocyclists use. We are hurting no one. The land is empty. The law is wrong. None of that makes it right.

Any respect I had for you went as soon as I read "If the law of the land showed me some respect perhaps I would"

Dan B

Disengaged member
Cyclists like you who feel disregard for the law because it is OK because you feel safe give cyclist a bad name. If treating Red Lights as give way signs is OK then why not say cars should do so as well? I have respect for the law, you seem to have a "can't give a toss if I'm on my bike" attitude.
Is this switch in argument to "it's selfish" and "it gives cyclists a bad name" an admission that you now realise it's not after all evidence of a deathwish?

rowan 46

Über Member
If that many people abuse you when on the roads maybe you should ask questions about your riding ability. Or maybe your attitude.?

How many times do I have to say that the people who have a problem with cyclists don't need a reason. I don't live in rural wales I live in a big city this means that in my 40 years of cycling I have come into contact with a little bit more than 2 tractors and a sheep that's why I have had more abuse than you. nothing to do with my cycling which is safe responsible legal except for the off road bit. I don't RLJ I just don't condemn out of hand those that do.

It was the first piece of stats are bollox I learned when doing my Computer Science Degree. :smile:

Well you had a crap teacher who didn't understand the importance of exposure measures if you want to draw conclusions on risk.

But you seem to have extrapolated that lesson to all stats are bollox which is bollox.

Is this switch in argument to "it's selfish" and "it gives cyclists a bad name" an admission that you now realise it's not after all evidence of a deathwish?

Admit he's wrong? Porcine Airways now departing from Gate 3. He'll just ignore the question or move the goalposts or change the subject. Oh look he just did!

Top Bottom