who are pavements for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The same can be said for you not being able to see that people dont do it blindly (mostly).

Blindly or otherwise why break a law just so you can save a few seconds and place yourself in unnecessary risk? How many cyclists scream blue murder about a car who wants to overtake and can't. I'm sure the same argument has been made on many an occasion. I am also sure the driver believes he/she is doing nothing wrong.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Every cyclist who has survived negotiating a T junction has the necessary skills to make an adequate risk assessment of whether it is safe to go through a red light or not. Likewise every pedestrian who has previous experience at crossing the road. The additional "unnecessary risk" you refer to is in many cases so small to be unquantifiable, and certainly smaller than many other entirely legal tactics that cyclists often adopt - for example, filtering in traffic.

And if you know what De Morgan's law is, am I to assume that the logical fallacy in your response to rowan ("not safe, not responsible and not legal") was a deliberate attack and not just a mistake?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Every cyclist who has survived negotiating a T junction has the necessary skills to make an adequate risk assessment of whether it is safe to go through a red light or not. Likewise every pedestrian who has previous experience at crossing the road. The additional "unneccessary risk" you refer to is in many cases so small to be unquantifiable

And if you know what De Morgan's law is, am I to assume that the logical fallacy in your response to rowan ("not safe, not responsible and not legal") was a deliberate attack and not just a mistake?

You assumption is correct.

As for risk v legality. Just carry on. I live in a one horse town in the middle of rural Wales apparently so I have no idea what city life is like. (Ignoring that fact that I have lived and worked in London, Guildford, Reading and worked in Cardiff.

rowan 46

Über Member
you know it and I know you implied that I was a crap rider when on the road. That to me is an insult and certainly can't be an observation as we have never met. As for fat that is not an insult as it is certainly true in my case and I have alluded to it and the reasons why in other threads. To get back to topic I agree with angelfish that it is illegal to ride on pavements. I don't agree that riding on an empty pavement is the most antisocial thing a cyclist can do and I don't believe that riding legally would make inconsiderate drivers like cyclists more. they have no reason to hate they just do.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
you know it and I know you implied that I was a crap rider when on the road. That to me is an insult and certainly can't be an observation as we have never met. As for fat that is not an insult as it is certainly true in my case and I have alluded to it and the reasons why in other threads. To get back to topic I agree with angelfish that it is illegal to ride on pavements. I don't agree that riding on an empty pavement is the most antisocial thing a cyclist can do and I don't believe that riding legally would make inconsiderate drivers like cyclists more. they have no reason to hate they just do.

I had no desire to insult you. I simply pointed out an observation that was used during the CTC Nat Standards Course. If you feel I insulted you I apologise.

Everyone needs a reason to hate it is just that with some people it is subconscious.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Blindly or otherwise why break a law just so you can save a few seconds and place yourself in unnecessary risk? How many cyclists scream blue murder about a car who wants to overtake and can't. I'm sure the same argument has been made on many an occasion. I am also sure the driver believes he/she is doing nothing wrong.
I don't do it so I can't say why.
I've asked people and they say because they don't want to slow down, loose momentum etc..

From my observations, rljing in London is rarely done on a busy junction and mostly done at pedestrian crossings where no one is crossing. So there rearly is no to limited danger.

Again fom my observations the people that jump red lights are not the people that complain about drivers, as they just don't care about anyone or anything!
Personally I think people that brake basic road laws are being contradictory if they then complain about others. That is highlighted when a video camera cyclists posts footage online of them doing something dodgy, loads of us will pull them up on it.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
[QUOTE 1463609"]
I doubt you'd get a fast road bike on a pavement.
[/quote]

Another assumption?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I don't do it so I can't say why.
I've asked people and they say because they don't want to slow down, loose momentum etc..

From my observations, rljing in London is rarely done on a busy junction and mostly done at pedestrian crossings where no one is crossing. So there rearly is no to limited danger.

Again fom my observations the people that jump red lights are not the people that complain about drivers, as they just don't care about anyone or anything!
Personally I think people that brake basic road laws are being contradictory if they then complain about others. That is highlighted when a video camera cyclists posts footage online of them doing something dodgy, loads of us will pull them up on it.

Losing momentum is a lame excuse IMO. Imagine if a HGV used that excuse (far more valid in that case).
OK. First time ped crossing has been mentioned. Still illegal but far less dangerous I agree. I also agreed about the contradictory nature of cyclists who complain about car drivers but break laws themselves.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Losing momentum is a lame excuse IMO. Imagine if a HGV used that excuse (far more valid in that case).
OK. First time ped crossing has been mentioned. Still illegal but far less dangerous I agree. I also agreed about the contradictory nature of cyclists who complain about car drivers but break laws themselves.
The type of crossing has never be mentioned. And rljers certainly don't jump every junction, they pick and choose.

Dreamcatcher

I have tried to read this thread from the beginning and I have come to the conclusion that Angelfishsolo really does have too much time on his hands...:laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 1463729"]
Really? I've never seen anyone blasting down a pavement on a road bike. Have you? Why would they?
[/quote]

Only once ... and the fact of the location together with the expensive bike and saddle far too low all added up to say stolen!

Top Bottom