who counts as a hardcore commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Womble

Oh what i wouldn't give for 50 miles on a fixie, you've got it easy, in my day it was 50 miles e/w, on a unicycle all weathers, with only my poor grandpa's old soiled yfronts for warmth sand showers at work and had to climb hartside every day!

bonj2

SimonGalgut said:
Only 50 miles per day. And no, I wasn't.

oh right, so 25 miles each way then. that's more believable.

buggi

Bird Saviour
a few at my work place cycle from my area. it's about 17 - 20 mile each way depending which end of town we live at. i knew a guy that did a 40 mile round trip through the snow! i think he's hardcore. normally i stop once the clocks change for winter but this year, with the help of better lights down pitch black country lanes, i'm planning on giving the lads a run for their money and keeping it up as much as i can through the winter. i'll let you know how i go.

buggi

Bird Saviour
a few at my work place cycle from my area. it's about 17 - 20 mile each way depending which end of town we live at. i knew a guy that did a 40 mile round trip through the snow! i think he's hardcore. normally i stop once the clocks change for winter but this year, with the help of better lights down pitch black country lanes, i'm planning on giving the lads a run for their money and keeping it up as much as i can through the winter. i'll let you know how i go.

flycatcher

9 miles each way all year 3 tmes a week though only once this week as it was my birthday. Takes me 45 minutes in the car, 35 on the bike but only 10 mins on the way home, traffic a lot easier the way I go.

flycatcher

9 miles each way all year 3 tmes a week though only once this week as it was my birthday. Takes me 45 minutes in the car, 35 on the bike but only 10 mins on the way home, traffic a lot easier the way I go.

mondobongo

Über Member
Non cyclists at work as always think I am nuts. Was 7.5 miles each way but have moved now just 3.7 miles each way all road 4-5 times a week. Love the ride home at 6.30 after a night shift blows the cobwebs away. Tend to stay of the prom though as the tram tracks can be way dodgy. Have the kit so plan on keeping going through the winter yesterday was frosty roads which focused my mind to taking it easy.

Love sprinting away from the lights and freaking the car drivers out.

mondobongo

Über Member
Non cyclists at work as always think I am nuts. Was 7.5 miles each way but have moved now just 3.7 miles each way all road 4-5 times a week. Love the ride home at 6.30 after a night shift blows the cobwebs away. Tend to stay of the prom though as the tram tracks can be way dodgy. Have the kit so plan on keeping going through the winter yesterday was frosty roads which focused my mind to taking it easy.

Love sprinting away from the lights and freaking the car drivers out.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Patrick Stevens said:
7 miles each way along the A5. Don't do it if it is raining in the morning or the forecast is for steady rain. If it is just a case of showery rain in the evening, I time my departure to try to avoid the worst of it. The rain is more a problem than the cold as I've got lots of warm clothing.

Ditto, except for B3 instead of A5!

When people think you are bonkers for commuting in the winter cold, point out to them that when they have to clear the drive of snow, they wrap up, and 15 to 20 mins later when they have finished they are usually boiling hot. It is not so very different on a bike, if you have the right clothing.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Patrick Stevens said:
7 miles each way along the A5. Don't do it if it is raining in the morning or the forecast is for steady rain. If it is just a case of showery rain in the evening, I time my departure to try to avoid the worst of it. The rain is more a problem than the cold as I've got lots of warm clothing.

Ditto, except for B3 instead of A5!

When people think you are bonkers for commuting in the winter cold, point out to them that when they have to clear the drive of snow, they wrap up, and 15 to 20 mins later when they have finished they are usually boiling hot. It is not so very different on a bike, if you have the right clothing.

13 miles ew but no more than four times a week and only if not raining, windy or very cold. So not hardcore.

But I do have to cycle in and out of Bradford which must be the top UK city for 'random' driving.

So maybe a little hardcore around the edges

13 miles ew but no more than four times a week and only if not raining, windy or very cold. So not hardcore.

But I do have to cycle in and out of Bradford which must be the top UK city for 'random' driving.

So maybe a little hardcore around the edges

Top Bottom