who counts as a hardcore commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
My next door neighbour thinks I am crazy. my missus said I was cycling in and she was amazed... it was quite 'warm' last week too..

ash68

mordecai84 said:
Hello, this is my first post! Greetings.

I have a 22mi round trip and so far I have had no days off apart from weekends this year. Its astonishing how fast things like freewheels and things like that wear out!

hello mordecai84, welcome to the forum, pull up a chair, nice and close to the fire and make yourself at home.:blush: Tea,coffee,biscuit perhaps?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Anyone who commutes on a bike with any degree of regularity is a hardcore commuter to their non-cycling colleagues. Particularly if they continue when the motorcyclists* are back in their cars.

It isn't difficult to cycle in when it's a bit chilly, but I don't tell 'em that. I milk it.

(*there is one hardcore motorcyclist where I work; meaning he rides even when it's raining)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
SimonGalgut said:
I had a Sunday off once. :blush:

I'm disappointed, I thought there was some goal to strive for........

:tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Strange how, before the first time I cycled to work, it seemed a long way. Probably something I'd do as a one off.

Its quickly become the preferred option

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I sold the car in 1994 and haven't looked back. One bike year round, the commute just got shorter 'cause I move, but the hills are steeper and it is all on road (no more relaxing cycle path). No showers at work, over crammed bike shed, got told off this morning for using the official visitor cycle rack...

gbb

Legendary Member
Hardcore...hardly !!!
5 miles a day 'commuting'...i prefer to think i ride to work. Commuting seems so innapropriate for a short ride to work :biggrin:

I do ride all year round, (except when its pishing it down in the morning )
The only day never ride is Weds...for a specific reason.

I often take a 'long cut' through town on the way home...just to do a few extra miles and play with the traffic :blush:

Now then ...hardcore :tongue:
Guy at work a few years ago got banned for drink driving. Got himself a Bianchi roadbike and commuted about 30 miles EVERY day, ALL weathers for a year.
He enjoyed it, even the coldest of winter days...there were no showers (but then he was an engineer, so being clean and smart wasnt important)
Hmmm, enjoyed it ???...perhaps he just accepted his lot. Never complained though.

About 9 miles each way or 2 miles + train. Good showers at work.
This is my first winter of commuting and the antics of car drivers are beginning to wear thin, much muttered and louder cursing.
Hardcore, but with a soft centre!

Johnny Thin

17.5 miles 3x pw each way all year, plus an additional 115 miles every 3 weeks to commute to the airport to visit my family abroad. During summer I try to take the scenic route though which makes it 20 miles+

I can get a lift using my folder to fill in but it takes just as long - an hour each way if the traffic's clear.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I will be soon, as we are going from 2 cars to one funky family bus.:biggrin:

My "commute" though is about 1.5 miles, so whilst it bests Arch's it's nothing to shout about :blush:
But there are still options...walk, run, get a lift with Mrs FF who works 500m around the corner.

On balance then I'm more soft-core...or just soft, really :tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
Definately not hardcore me.

If I take the shortest route it's 1.3 miles each way which is very handy for coming home at dinner to walk the dog. It is 5 or more days a week whatever the weather though.

I very rarely take the shortest route.

Alcdrew

Hairy Jock said:
I sold the car in 1994 and haven't looked back. One bike year round, the commute just got shorter 'cause I move, but the hills are steeper and it is all on road (no more relaxing cycle path). No showers at work, over crammed bike shed, got told off this morning for using the official visitor cycle rack...

Where do you work? that has visitor bike parking? never heard of such a thing.

Top Bottom