who counts as a hardcore commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:
EDIT REQUIRED!:tongue:

:blush:

Most days nothing happens I'm afraid. I did say 'tosser' under my breath at a bloke who nearly jumped off the pavement in front of me on his beaten up old mountain bike, then went straight through the red light I was waiting at. And I did see a taxi driver sound his horn at a steady stream of cyclists in front of him because he wanted past (they were two abreast in front of him, at least eight or nine deep, wasn't any point in sounding his horn). But thats about it for this morning!

ash68

for me it's 13.5 miles each way all year round.No showers at work, but it's my workmates that suffer the pong,not me:biggrin:. I use mudguards in the winter and I get well wrapped up in winter gear. Chickened out one day last winter when the roads were covered in black ice and turned back to take the car instead. So I'm definatly not hardcore. To be hardcore you need to cycle through the winter in short sleeves, shorts and ankle socks,no mudguards and use your best bike through all conditions;)

ChrisW said:
Am i soft hardcore, or hard softcore? Or just medium core? Possibly mellow core? Marshmallow core?
....apple core, rotten to the core, core of the earth, core blimey, Angela Corr, a bottle of .....

I'll get me coat...:blush:

domtyler

Über Member
6.5 miles each way, all year, any weather.

But, hot showers, summer/winter bike, secure parking, all the clothes, alternative would take twice as long and involved the Central Line.

Definitely medium-soft core.

frog

15 miles each way, 4 days a week, all year round, showers but no drying facilities for clothes. I've no ideal what you'd class that as

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
14 miles each way, how ever many days a week I feel like (usually 2-3), no showers or drying facilities.

Got ready yesterday, forecast said -3, thought about windchill, bottled it, went in the car.:blush:

gambatte said:
14 miles each way, how ever many days a week I feel like (usually 2-3), no showers or drying facilities.

Got ready yesterday, forecast said -3, thought about windchill, bottled it, went in the car.:blush:

You were hard core right up until the last line, ya big jessie (TM)

dondare

Über Member
I'm totally hardcore.

Except when I'm working late on Friday nights.

And when I've got stuff I need to carry.

And when I just don't feel like it.

7 miles each way along the A5. Don't do it if it is raining in the morning or the forecast is for steady rain. If it is just a case of showery rain in the evening, I time my departure to try to avoid the worst of it. The rain is more a problem than the cold as I've got lots of warm clothing.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
magnatom said:
You were hard core right up until the last line, ya big jessie (TM)

I’m concerned for other peoples well being. Such a temperature would mean changing from the ¾ baggies to the lycra biblongs. No one deserves that vision…..:blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
8 miles each way, every day all weathers except ICE or SNOW when I'll catch the bus, or maybe use the car (deliberately don't have a car park pass, so the bus option makes me ride :blush:) Frost / sub-zero is fine so long as the roads are dry.... just waiting for the icy wet days....

Only had a couple of none bike days in 3.5 months since I got back into commuting - due to interviews before I got this job.

Got all the gear for all weather types, have my own office so can get everything dry. Ride the 'commuted up MTB' and save the roadies for weekend fun.....

Not that Hard Core.... used to do 20 miles each way all year round even ICE, but I've chickened out from that having come off at speed three times on one journey on the 20 mile commute...wasn't fun....

rjeffroy

12 miles each way through central London
no shower or drying facilities
old school steel roadie - drops, no mudguards but does have gears
4 days a week, all weather.

its the 5th day that makes me hardcore - that's the day I take the Underground. The cycling is p*ss easy in comparison.

Top Bottom