who counts as a hardcore commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
17 miles each way 6days a week in all weathers. Only 1 of my bikes has guards but I do wrap up in the cold mornings . No showers either except at one of my stations

noggin

16 mile round trip every day of the year
draw the line if snow is deeper than a 3"
lovely showers right opposite my office

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
noggin said:
16 mile round trip every day of the year
draw the line if snow is deeper than a 3"
lovely showers right opposite my office

SHOWERS?!!
Why d’ya need showers if theres 3” of snow to roll around in??:blush::laugh:

PaleRider

12.5 miles each way; 5 days a week (occasionally 4 if I can think of a reasonable enough excuse to appease my guilt for not cycling); 2 bikes - one with mudguards & rack; no showers. Got all the clobber for winter but have yet to use it... Gave the car away to give me extra impetus :-)

Tynan

Veteran
12.5 miles each way in London rush hour

two days running when nothing has passed me, bib longs and a long sleeve izumi top at the mo

mudguards and pannier and a feeble shower at work

today is the first of my three days a week having an extra leg to evening classes carrying heavy books and folders, with some return to home trips not starting until 9pm

as commuters go I feel pretty serious, spec as I'm on a 12 years old clapped out £300 hybrid

mordecai84

Hello, this is my first post! Greetings.

I have a 22mi round trip and so far I have had no days off apart from weekends this year. Its astonishing how fast things like freewheels and things like that wear out!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I reckon it's easy to commute every day if you've no alternative or if the alternatives are unappealing.

What makes you hardcore is if you do it every day even if you've no reason not to use an attractive alternative.

Commuter

Uncle Phil said:
I reckon it's easy to commute every day if you've no alternative or if the alternatives are unappealing.

What makes you hardcore is if you do it every day even if you've no reason not to use an attractive alternative.

Maybe I do qualify, my wife works in the same place as me and comes by car. ( 13miles EW AW ED )

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Reckon you're right. Plus with a username like that...

cupoftea

30 miles, 5 days a week, 1 bike, all year round

I'm not hardcore I'm lazy, I can't stand playing train roulette. I don't like paying for cr$p service from TFL. It takes longer by train. I don't need to do any "exercise"

Oh and I now have a fantastic shower work :-)

frog

Just as a matter of interest Alec, are you showing this thread to those who defined you as a 'hardcore commuter'?

You need to remind them it's not about mileage, it's about the commitment to the commute.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
10 miles each way, 4 days a week, all year round.

I don't consider myself hardcore, just someone who now detests wasting large chunks of my life sitting stuck on a bus for over an hour when I can cycle it in half that time !

However, to my car-loving colleagues at work, I'm as hardcore and dedicated as it comes ("it was freezing this morning - and you CYCLED IN ??!! You're a nutter !"). And who am I to disabuse them of this notion, since it means that I am some kind of hard man in their eyes ? (In reality, I'm the world's biggest jessie & honorary chief coward)

Top Bottom