Who else uses flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
I use clips and straps on the road bike, however my slicked up mountain bike (which I use for short distances around the city) has flat pedals, and wouldn't change it. I can definitely see the advantage that being attached to the pedals gives you, but on certain trips the drawbacks outweigh the disadvantages.

Blue Steel

I've been using clipless pedals and shoes for many years, and for me it wouldn't feel right without them. That's probably because I ride for what you could losely (very losely!) describe as 'sport'. i.e. I step outside my front door, ride my bike and some hours later arrive back, usually without having stopped or had to remove my foot from the pedal. If I were commuting in an urban area, or popping down to the shops I can see how clipless could be a lot of faff, and the shoes are a right pain to walk in.
Different strokes for different folks. If it works for you then it's the right choice. I wouldn't worry too much what anyone else says. Us cyclists seem to be a very mixed bag. There is always going to be someone who disagrees with your choices, from the type of bike you ride to the colour of your bar tape!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I love it! And those Zefal toe clips look clever. (I had straps on my road bike when I first bought it, and they came off after I nearly fell off on my first "test ride" up the road while I was trying to turn the pedals up the right way!)

They are very comfy and you still get the forward push without feeling too attached to the bike and they are pretty cheap.I use the larger ones as i find the small ones pinch your toes a bit if you are wearing anything bigger than cycle specific shoes.

So, what's the difference/benefit? Everything I've read says it's something to do with smoother power delivery and getting the benefit of the up-stroke as well as the down, and all this leading to going faster?

That's it in a nutshell. Efficient power transfer due to stiff soles, and the benefit of being able to pull up on the pedal as well. It might sound like baffling with bull to be honest, but it does work. There's a reason the pro guys don't use flats, but if you're happy on flats then leave them alone :thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have been using SPDs (just the bog standard M520's) since my early 20's and can't think of any situation where the control and attachment doesn't give an advantage. I am now approaching 40 and recently bought a combined double sided SPD/flat pedal (M324's?) for my hybrid so I could nip to the shops or go out with the family without donning my 'special' shoes because, although they are as comfy and easy to walk in as trainers, they do look a bit dorkish. I soon found I hate riding without the clipped in feel as my foot would move around on the pedal, especially during the return upstroke when I must be pulling up on the pedal with the spd's to give a more even powerstroke. This also means that on the down stroke my foot isn't always quite in the right place to give the best push, it's not that my foot is at risk of slipping off, it just isn't optimal. I suspect the fact that I am clipped in allows for a more efficient power transfer and also allows additional effort to be added to the upstroke. This extra 'pull' during the upstroke might not be much, maybe 5-10%, but it's better than nothing.

I reckon anyone who uses SPDs sucessfully would not be keen to return to flats once the initial strangeness has been overcome.

Bluenite

I don't have any problems getting up hills in my Nike's and pedals. Is it just a question of psychology, like Dumbo with the feather.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I soon found I hate riding without the clipped in feel as my foot would move around on the pedal, especially during the return upstroke when I must be pulling up on the pedal with the spd's to give a more even powerstroke.

give it time and you'll learn to pedal properly without losing your footing...try watching some kids they all manage just fine :whistle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Flat pedals here too. I find flats perfectly adequate for the kind of riding I do and not needing to use specific shoes is useful, especially in winter when I can wear boots to keep my toes from freezing.

:thumbsup:

Lulubel said:
I like being able to get a foot down very quickly if I need to.

Me too, in town there is a lot of obstacles.

Me too. My clip-in pedals and shoes are gathering dust, unused since I sold my road bike. Im sure that if I ever get my Mtb back together or buy another road bike I'll use them again. Theyd look a bit out of place on my cargo bike...

Top Bottom