Who else uses flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
Flats on the MTB, SPD's on the road bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I really like the feeling of being attached to the bike, why ever not? - and the advantages of clipless far outweigh the disadvantages - for me. I have used clips and straps and shoe plates, and then SPD/SL style pedals for 50 years or so. I even feel uncomfortable on a gym exercise bike with loose straps! But each to his /her own. However, a friend who used strapless clips and swore they would never use clipless pedals has recently become a total SPD convert, and no - not peer group pressure, just greater efficiency - their verdict.

PS - really interesting website covering the history of pedals - all varieties

Flats, mtb, clips on my road bike for the last few years and toeclips for about ..... yonks, before that. I simply prefer the feeling of being clipped in, I'm uncertain I gain any advantage from it, except on steep pulls. I dare say if I learnt to pedal in circles I might but life's too short. I've even contemplated going back to toeclips, means I don't have to worry about shoe choice.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
and I like being able to get a foot down very quickly if I need to.
Me too, in town there is a lot of obstacles.
Once you are used to SPDs then you find your feet pop out without even thinking about it, at just the right moment, just when you need it (except for my right foot which has been a bit stubborn recently, I think the cleats are getting worn and I have had a spare set sat in a drawer for years :rolleyes:)

i use flats on my runabout bike mainly because i can cycle in any shoes, even flip flops
I have been sooooooo tempted to get some of THESE in the last couple of years:becool:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I like having the double sided option too, and have these fitted to my 3 bikes:

52885.jpg

I go through phases of using the SPD's but I would say that 99% of the time I don't bother with them. I am no TDF rider and any efficiency advantage I might get from being clipped in would be negligible (if any). The pins on the flat side of the pedal are very grippy and I have never even come close to slipping off the pedals. Plus the advantages others have mentioned re being able to cycle in any shoes, get your foot down in a hurry etc..

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have double sided Shimano 530 pedals and have drilled the rim of the flat side and inserted short bits of stainless steel mtb spokes to provide pins similar to those on Brandanes Wellgo pedals have. Since then I have discovered riding on the flats is equally as fast and no foot slip whatsoever so rarely bother with clipping in now.

I have a very light pair of rubber soled trainers that have proved comfortable on several 100 mile plus rides. To be honest I think I may use flats and trainers all the time now.Also the bit of knee pain I used to experience has dissapeared since going for flats.

I am never going to be a fast rider so the comfortable easy option does me fine.

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't used flats for many years, I have clips and straps on the fixed and clipless on the geared bike, of the two systems I prefer clips and straps, I don't like being as well attached to the bike as I am on clipless, I also like being able to use any boot or shoe I like with the clips and straps, on performance I get no advantage from the clipless.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Flat pedals on the Brommie (unless I'm taking it on a tour), flat/SPD double sided pedals on the SS, flat pedals on the hack. SPDs on the Carbon Uberbike.

RAYMOND

I think its a personal choice like the helmut debate.
Neither are right or wrong,its what feels comfortable to you.
Personally i think normal peddles are just fine and safer/easier with no hassle.
I have been dithering over getting SPDs for a while but have decided not to bother
for this year at least.
Sure they might give you a extra few minutes in a race but were not professionals are we.
Some cyclists just like to look the part which is fine,even i like the pro's jerseys and am in
danger of going overboard on all the gear but the main thing is to get out there and cycle as often as you like.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I got as fitting the pedals that are one sided ... but to be honest I cycle in a whole range of footware from big boots in the depths of winter, through converses, sandles and yes flip flops!!!:sun: (well Birkenstock's). I don't want to have to change footware to cycle.

I do find hills aren't easy but I don't think changing pedals would solve it ... just might help a little - just not a natural climber - or too lazy:blush:!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I don't have a bike with flats currently, but I wish I did.

When I had my Brompton I always had a bike I could jump on in any clothing. Might get a cheap old folder for these sort of journeys, I'll lock it rather than fold and carry.

Top Bottom