Who else uses flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
I have flats on my cube hybrid and I love them but I'm currently having the same issues deciding if I go down the cleats on my road bike. Problem I have is that should I go down the cleat route I would have to carry another pair of shoes for going to the gym unless I get a double sided pedal, lots to think about but I may just stay with cages on the roadie.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks for all the feedback. This has turned into a really interesting discussion, and I'm quite surprised there are so many people out there using flats.

I'm going to stick to mine - well, get some for my new bike. It feels like quite a relief to have stopped pressurising myself to go clipless!

col

Legendary Member
Always do since oo years ago now. didnt really make much difference to me as Im not a sportive, so flats on all bikes and feels good for me. If I need to put the hammer down I can, depends how stiff my soles are to how comfortable hammering is, but still fine for me:thumbsup:

pepecat

I use toe clips, and think i'm sticking to them for the time being. I tried clipless last year, and didn't much like it - i got so worried about not being able to put my foot down before falling over, that i didn't want to go out cycling, which is not really the point! So i went back to toe clips and and much happier. Heck, i managed 65 miles over dartmoor with toeclips and it was fine. And i saw people cycling that sportive with flats as well - each to their own i guess!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I have flats on my commuting bike and prefer it that way. I've recently got SPD-SL pedals and shoes for the road bike and really enjoy them when out in the lanes, but I am nervy when I'm back in civilisation - junctions...etc Hopefully I'll get used to it.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual. I can perfectly understand why some people would prefer flats and wouldn't criticise anyone for their choice.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
I upgraded the Scott sub hybrid to DMR v12 flat pedals.
best flat pedals I've used,the pins have great grip on the trainers,cannot see a need for others with these.

ShinyDave

I'm probably going to be getting flats fitted to the Boardman CX Team I'm planning to get. Given my coordination issues, the last thing I need is being unable to plonk my foot on the road at a junction easily.

bucksgill

Up until Sunday afternoon I had flats with toe clips (no straps) on my road bike however I have just joined a club and a guy there has leant me some clipless pedals and shoes. I personally see a massive difference on the hills but that may be down the the shoes; on the flats I was wearing worn out plimpsolls which flexed like mad and now I have a hard sole which means power is put down more efficiently.

I'm glad I have gone clipless, but its just personal preference. However when I get a new bike later this year I will move clipless to that one and put the flats back on my current bike to make it better for a city runaround bike. All depends on the individual situation of the rider, but at the end of the day do whatever the damn you want! If you enjoy it then why care what other people think?

Doug.

Veteran
I use "flat" light weight pedals having changed from the "S.P.D" type.
I was not happy with the being "clipped on" feeling.
Tried the "clip less" pedals for over a year and I generally never felt comfortable.
Could just be me as I have friends who consider them excellent with no problems or concern of rapid "unclipping".
I tend to sympathise with your observation re.S.P.D pedals etc.
Is it possible you may consider spending your spare cash on a different cycle "up grade" ?
Yours
Doug.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Always used flat pedals prior to getting the new Dash, which have clips and straps. I get on well with the clips, but would not like the feeling of being attached to the bike with clipless. So I'll stick with flats on the runaround/shopper and keep the clips on the Dash. Whatever your comfortable with I say.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Sure they might give you a extra few minutes in a race but were not professionals are we.
Some cyclists just like to look the part which is fine,even i like the pro's jerseys and am in
danger of going overboard on all the gear .........

Please not this 'fashion' argument (again). If you look at the Pedal Museum website I linked to earlier, you will see people have been inventing ways of linking their feet more firmly to their pedals almost since the invention of the bicycle. It is a personal thing. If you don't like/get on with/feel trapped by/ etc etc don't use them. Your choice.
Problem I have is that should I go down the cleat route I would have to carry another pair of shoes for going to the gym ......
I always carry my gym kit and shoes separately anyway. Change when I get there. Different shoes for different activities. You don't go to play football wearing your boots do you? Wear your climbing shoes on the journey to the hills?

Contrary to the myth of clip-in (and clips and straps pedals before them) even pro cyclists struggle to 'lift' the rising pedal. The best that can be acheived in practice is a slight reduction in the weight of the rising leg, which gives the falling leg less to do. There is a slight benefit at the bottom of the stroke, an ability to claw the pedal back which allows for a longer power stroke. It's easier to 'pedal in circles', the stroke becomes less of an up/down treadle action. Clip-ins allow you to spin faster, and more spinny = more aerobic. The real benefit of clips and clip-in pedals is that they reduce the amount of energy required to keep the foot on the pedal, automatically align the foot in the optimal location and prevent the foot from slipping off.

The limit to the amount of power we can deliver to the pedals is limited by our ability to process oxygen. Even if we could pull up on the pedals at every stroke, it wouldn't be free energy. Clip-in pedals just allow us to be more efficient.

Maylian

Veteran
Please not this 'fashion' argument (again). If you look at the Pedal Museum website I linked to earlier, you will see people have been inventing ways of linking their feet more firmly to their pedals almost since the invention of the bicycle. It is a personal thing. If you don't like/get on with/feel trapped by/ etc etc don't use them. Your choice.

I always carry my gym kit and shoes separately anyway. Change when I get there. Different shoes for different activities. You don't go to play football wearing your boots do you? Wear your climbing shoes on the journey to the hills?

Well the issue that I have is that I don't use panniers and since I do a lot of running and swimming my backpack is full with pull buoys, goggles, towels and there just wouldn't be space for my running shoes. Hence me preferring to use cages, that's why I'm thinking of going down the double sided so can get proper cycle shoes for long rides and use trainers for my gym ride / commute.

Top Bottom