Who else uses flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Actually, the impression I got from the site you linked to was that being attached to the bike is a relatively recent idea. For a long time, there were just various different designs and shapes of flat pedals, then toe clips and straps were introduced. It's only in relatively recent years that being attached to the bike has become "the thing".

Sager patented 1896 - recent years?? "This is but one of the many early designs of toe clips from this period. Fortunately, this example is one of the lucky few that survived the last 110 years."

If no-one was allowed to participate in an activity unless they were wearing the "correct" clothing, we'd have even more of a problem with obesity than we currently do.

- depends how serious you are about the activity. I wouldnt like to go walking in the Cairngorms in flip-flops.

I'm on flats and Specialized Rockhopper shoes.
I tried Eggbeaters on the MTB and was too duck-footed, could never get one cleat right.
When I start back on the 1980's roadie I'm gonna whip out the SPD's and Shimano shoes and have another go. Currently stored with flats on too.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
- depends how serious you are about the activity.

Well, this discussion is taking place in the beginners forum. Most people don't know if they're going to be serious about an activity when they're just starting out, so someone implying that you shouldn't take part unless you're wearing the "proper gear" could put people off who would otherwise go on to become serious.

Anyway, I don't wear the "proper gear" for cycling, and have no plans to when a lot of it is so overpriced, but I think 5000 miles a year would count as serious enough for most people.

I wouldnt like to go walking in the Cairngorms in flip-flops.

You might not, and neither would I - I'd be wearing my running shoes - but if someone else did want to, that would be up to them, and I certainly wouldn't criticise them for not wearing "activity specific" footwear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, you said you had gait analysis done for running - see - same can be done for cycling and the likes of Specialized do adaptable foot beds. Best tool for the job.

Bman

Guru
When I went clipless, the first benefit I noticed was with the footwear. The vents provided much needed (and missed ventilation) my feet felt much better. Then I found out I could put much more power into the pedal stroke. Queue exercise of leg muscles that didn't normally get that much use :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ah, you said you had gait analysis done for running - see - same can be done for cycling and the likes of Specialized do adaptable foot beds. Best tool for the job.

Best tool for which job is really the point...best tool for road racing then clipless pedals without a doubt...everything else is debateable and a lot depends on how you view, and how seriously you take, your hobby. When it's a case of utility first and hobby second then things become even more debateable.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well, this discussion is taking place in the beginners forum. Most people don't know if they're going to be serious about an activity when they're just starting out, so someone implying that you shouldn't take part unless you're wearing the "proper gear" could put people off who would otherwise go on to become serious.

Anyway, I don't wear the "proper gear" for cycling, and have no plans to when a lot of it is so overpriced, but I think 5000 miles a year would count as serious enough for most people.

You might not, and neither would I - I'd be wearing my running shoes - but if someone else did want to, that would be up to them, and I certainly wouldn't criticise them for not wearing "activity specific" footwear.

I have already said it is the individuals choice. As beginners become more serious about the activity they may wish to try clipless pedals, which offer both advantages and disadvantages, just as studded football boots, running spikes, or climbing shoes offer advantages to participants in those sports, but are unsuitable for everyday wear.

The mountain rescue service might criticise them ..... anyway - freedom to wear whatever footwear and clothing you like doesn't seem to be having a very positive effect on obesity ;).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
When I went clipless, the first benefit I noticed was with the footwear. The vents provided much needed (and missed ventilation) my feet felt much better.

You can get added ventilation using zigzag's flip flop method.

Nosaj

I detest mushrooms amongst other things but I only found out that I detest mushrooms after trying them in various guises (i.e. in a soup, on their own, with a fried breakfast). There is a moral in that statement somewhere I am sure.

My own humble opinion I started off with flats and toe clips/straps, got into cycling and swtiched to clipless admittedly as everyone in my club was clipless and took great pleasure in extolling the benefits to me at every and any opportunity. I recently bought an entry level hard tail mountain bike. It came with flat pedals and I cannot get used to the damn things now, my feet keep slipping off. One of the first mods aside from adding a water bottle cage and tweaking the seat height will be to add clipless pedals. So I must like them or perceive that they give me some benefit over flats or maybe I am just marketing mutton.

If clipless pedals scare you witless but flat pedals mean that you get out enjoy your bike and cyle miles and miles then flat pedals are the way to go. If the reverse then clipless are the way to go.

Cancellara would whoop my backside in a race if he rode with flat pedals (and one legged most probably) and I rode clipless so the gear does not necessarily maketh the man.

Try em and go with your own personal preference.

ps not that it really matters a jot but I have not had a clipless moment going clipless but I did with toe clips and straps.
EDIT: Also I can see the benefit to using flats if you are going on a short hop with numerous stops eg out with your kids my riding involves riding with minimal stopping

Bluenite

Jesus uses flats.

JesusChristOnABicycleArt.jpg

The internet says so...

Tim

Hi, I have one bike with spd's and another, my tourer, with double sided pedals, and probably ride in 'normal shoes' on my tourer more often than than my spds. What I do notice is how my feet naturally adopt a narrower angle of gait (closer together) in my normal shoes than in the spds, and it feels more comfortable. Both bikes are set up with the same chainsets and bottom bracket widths and I can't get adjust the cleats on my SPDs any more to narrow the angle. Putting a washer under the medial side of the spd cleat helped but I wondered if anyone had tried the Ergon PC2 pedals that invert the forefoot a bit, has anyone found them anymore comfortable than 'flat' flats IYSWIM.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Popular thread!

I have been giving (too much) thought to this subject for my new bike (returning rider).

In the past I have always used toe clips and straps and been 100% happy with them as a recreational rider. I think I may stay that way too.

One thing that bothers me is the almost macho humour that surrounds the rite of passage of falling off the bike when first using clipless pedals - there are lots of short anecdotes on cycling forums about this.

I am not keen on emulating this. Two reasons; 1) a long time ago I came off of a mountain bike on black ice and it hurt - big time and 2) I would be truly *issed if my nice new bike was damaged in any way.

In terms of performance advantages no doubt clipless are more efficient. But in reality for how many people (esp' in the beginners section) does this really matter? Same camp as paying oodles for lighter wheels, lighter components etc. All gets a bit nth degree.

My other passions are watches, hi-fi and hiking. All involve 'gear' of some description and performance improvements but in the end for the vast majority that final few percentages of improvement really doesn't matter a jot.

Top Bottom