Who here is a musician?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KitsuneAndy

Bigtallfatbloke said:
If you have pro tools you automatically qualify as official mixer producer...can you drive it?

I have only got a Roland VS1880 hard disc recorder which is pretty good...but not in the pro tools league.

I'll have a good idea of how much time I can lend out by the end of the week, but more than likely I can.

All I'd need is for each instrument to be in a separate audio file, doesn't matter what format and don't worry about trying to match volumes or anything, I'll normalise all the tracks when mixing it together.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok...thats superb..many thanks mate!;);)

Ok...so we have our mixer/engineer/producer

Drums are down

so off you all go and do your stuff.....

anybody care to start the ball rolling with some lyric ideas?

KitsuneAndy

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have only got a Roland VS1880 hard disc recorder which is pretty good...but not in the pro tools league.

On the subject of recorders, the Pro Tools system is actually fairly cheap. I think a lot of people don't bother looking into it because they assume it's very expensive.

I picked up the Pro Tools MBOX for £300 brand new before they merged with M-Audio, if anything it'll be cheaper now knowing M-Audio.

It comes with the full Pro Tools LE software, the MBOX which has built in mic pre-amps, line out's SPDIF in and out and XLR balanced inputs. I also got sample versions of a couple of IK Media plug-ins such as Amplitube, which is a very good amp simulator if you ever need to use midi-guitars. (Or want to make pounding industrial drums even more evil ;))

Wow, you lot have gone way out of my depth with all this talk of pro tools and cubase. I have no idea how to record stuff on my computer, sorry! I suppose I could use my band's studio to put things on a CD, then upload it, but it won't be anytime soon ... maybe someone more technologically advanced should play rhythm guitar.;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Maybe this will help....

Do you have a microphone and a sound card on your pc (mic in)? or some kind of DI (direct in) box? I use a Line six pod.

Do you have any pc recording software at all? You could even use the basic on board windows recorder on your pc.

Start>all programmes>accesories>entertianment>sound recorder.

Plug in a mic...place mic in front of guitar/amp hit record and play.

Save the resultant file and upload it to

www.yousendit.com posting the link it generates for you on this board

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

good idea...make sure you tell them we only want green m &m's in the dressing rooms!

...now whose doing this guide guitar/piano/keys part? Just need some chords laying down....the rest will follow:smile:

As and when completed tracks get posted I will post them up in th eorigional post on this thread for ease of finding them by all.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
OK, OK, I'll do it. But it might have to wait till Saturday - I have rehearsals and gigs every evening this week, and a day job to do....

Bloody work. Gets in the way of music....

Drummer's tempo is a little variable, and there are 80 bars (an odd number to pick). So if/when I get around to recording something, I may sample and loop some 4 or 8-bar stretches of drums, then re-post a new drum track made from the loops. The rhythm guitar guide will line up with that.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Oh, and I don't use Cubase or anything technical like that. I use Audacity and the sound card on my laptop, plus a Sony mic for groups of instruments, an elderly but very clean-sounding AKG mic for vocals and single instruments, or the DI out socket on my amp for anything electronic.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

windpipes are good:becool::blush:

...ok we need to get organised...so...

Everybody who wants in should first download the drum part and take a listen to the 'vibe'. The link is in the first post in this thread.

Uncle Phil is going to do the basic chords/guide part and mess with the drums a little...at that point we will have our songs 'backbone'...over which we can all lay down our individual parts.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Ok, I'm a little behind schedule, but I have an hour or so free this evening to do some guitar or bass stuff.

In the meantime, I've tinkered with BTFB's drum track. The results are:

The isolated intro beat
A 12-bar segment, which I've looped five times, plus the intro beat to make a
60-bars-and-a-beat drum track
And here's the original complete drum track (BTFB's link has expired, this one won't).

More tracks will be posted when I've recorded them.

Top Bottom