Who here pays VED?

Who here pays VED?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shippers

Yes, think it's about £180 per year. It's done 30 miles this week. The bikes done just short of 200!

I was thinking this through during yesterdays commute- the duty is paid on the car not on the person, so the "But I do pay VED so I can use the road" doesn't work- although clearly it would puzzle most eejots who start aguments with cyclists.

The low emissions cars argument is a stronger one, though just hurling abuse is perhaps more satisfying...

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Over The Hill said:
I really cannot see the point of going down this path. VED is a tax on car ownership. How and why are you relating this to the use of a cycle?

Quite a few lower emission cars are not taxed now anyway.
Read the Look East thread and then the various comments on the link.

My point is that I suspect most cyclists who motons aim the "you don't pay road tax" argument at actually do pay VED because they are also car drivers.

I don't want to get into the discussion of some drivers paying a ton of money compared to my Yaris' £36 and Prius type drivers "paying" £0.

I could have asked do you drive a car, but some might interpret that as being able to drive but not owning a car.

Norm

3 cars and 2 motorbikes, I pay more than enough. :becool: It helps to laugh whenever someone mentions "road tax", especially as many of those commenting are in company cars so don't actually pay "road tax" themselves.

Debian

x4 here

Over The Hill said:
I really cannot see the point of going down this path. VED is a tax on car ownership. How and why are you relating this to the use of a cycle?

Quite a few lower emission cars are not taxed now anyway.

You all pay VED in full!

If we were assessed under the same rules as all other vehicles, a cycle would firmly falls into band A and therefore is duty bound to pay a sum of... £0.00

Therefore I have paid my VED in full!

D

Deleted member 1258

Non car owner here, haven't owned a car since 1979, then only half a car, Reliant Supervan three wheeler.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
everyone pays duty however you want to describe it, there was VAT on your bike and car purchases, there's fuel duty, VED and further VAT on the extra food you conusme to power your bike.

GrasB

Veteran
Personally I think VED should die a death & the tax revenue lost from that should be put on fuel duty. To my mind it'd deal with several issues in one go:
  • It'd help to kill the perception of a 'road tax'; Yes VED isn't a road tax but that's how it's perceived by joe public
  • It will hit drivers who drive in a more anti-social & aggressive manner as this can use considerably more fuel (Yes this is contrived but it illustrates the point - Toyota Prius v's BMW M3)
  • For the same miles traveled drivers who use the car for short journeys around town will be taxed more than those who only use the car for longer journeys
  • It'll relate to the amount you drive, more miles = more fuel used = more petrol duty paid

Top Bottom