Who here pays VED?

Who here pays VED?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Norm please read the page & subsequent pages & show me the one that refers to 'road tax' because I can't find it. I can find talk of 'vehicle tax' however.

Norm

There's a few on direct.gov.uk, such as this one, although I was referring more to the word tax than the word road.

It could also be argued that the phrase for registering untaxed vehicles, namely "statutory off road notification", strengthens the misapprehension about the road tax.

GrasB

Veteran
With all due respect Norm, that isn't actually on the subsequent pages & the only obvious place you can find 'road tax' if you search for that phrase. Also as "news" will use common usage rather than the official names.

Why does it imply that there's road tax? It's there to state the vehicle is not on the road. What would you have it called Statutory Declaration of Non-Use? SD(o)NU?

Norm

GrasB said:
With all due respect Norm, that isn't actually on the subsequent pages & the only obvious place you can find 'road tax' if you search for that phrase.
I've already said that my comment was as much about it being tax. Whether they specifically say "road tax" or "taxed if used or kept on a public road" is pretty pedantic, IMO.

GrasB said:
Also as "news" will use common usage rather than the official names.
Exactly the issue, though, isn't it? If the transport minister calls it road tax in a press release, that is likely to be a pretty strong way to advance the misunderstanding, isn't it?

GrasB said:
Why does it imply that there's road tax?
Really? Because many will think that the opposite of "off road" is "road".

So vehicles are either registered as off the road or taxed to be on the road. Which further promotes the misapprehension that it is a road tax.

Top Bottom