Who is brave enough to accept this challenge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Catrike UK said:
I have no fear of spiders or snakes, most creatures will generally leave you alone if you do the same for them.

No fear, but I really, really hate Mosquitoes.
With a passion.
It got to the point last year where the noise of one anytime during the night would wake me up....and no joke, I resorted to putting the squished bodies of the mossies on my windownsill on all my windows. If it was this that worked, or just the change in weather/luck, I shall never know

buggi

Bird Saviour
Mad Doug Biker said:
Generally you can't feet their little feet (feet sounds better than legs does it not?) anyway, not unless it is a Tarantula or similar.

Anyway, I'm gutted I couldn't be allowed to rescue your poor spider, I'm fearless about insects and I'd have rescued that wasp too (key pollinaters wasps are, but do you ever hear about that?? NOOOO! it's always the bees, the bees!)

Just make sure the poor thing doesn't die, that's all I ask of you.

you reckon??

crane flies are often mistakenly referred to as daddy long legs. a daddy long legs is a spider. they are the ones with the pea body

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Catrike UK said:
I have no fear of spiders or snakes, most creatures will generally leave you alone if you do the same for them.

I know, people go on about Wasps stinging them for no reason

I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS IN MY LIFE!!

I have only ever been stung about 3 times, it was always my fault, and one of those was a Bee!!

Either you are all lying and being all pathetic about it (with insects this is a very large possibility - people seem to drop their IQ by about 50 whenever they see something), or I am somehow deficient in some sort of way so they ignore me.

Heck I have wasps land on me all the time without any problem!!

I remember doing that at school and they sometimes climbed all over my face with absolutely no problem, I just left them to it!

There I was, about 7 years old and had already learned what a lot of people never ever seem to in their entire lifetime!

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Mad Doug Biker said:
Generally you can't feet their little feet (feet sounds better than legs does it not?) anyway, not unless it is a Tarantula or similar.

Anyway, I'm gutted I couldn't be allowed to rescue your poor spider, I'm fearless about insects and I'd have rescued that wasp too (key pollinaters wasps are, but do you ever hear about that?? NOOOO! it's always the bees, the bees!)

Just make sure the poor thing doesn't die, that's all I ask of you.

I did have an idea. As you are located at the cake shop, you could bring some cakes with you. Then I would let you rescue the spider. :laugh: I think I will just leave the door open overnight, and he or she will escape and disappear or hide under something else.

Now about the fox that comes into my garden in the early hours of the morning. Any suggestions to deter it?

I shall be retiring shortly, after my late night attack of the munchies - raisins and a small glass of milk.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
buggi said:
you reckon??

crane flies are often mistakenly referred to as daddy long legs. a daddy long legs is a spider. they are the ones with the pea body

I'm talking about the crane fly. Just shows how much I know about Daddy Long Legs! ha ha!!

Anyway, they are most ungraceful looking things anyway ... Crane flies I mean.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ah right, I see where you are coming from. The term Daddy Longlegs can refer to one of three types of creature. Either the Crane Fly, the Harvestman (which isn't actually an arachnid), and the other, the Cellarman that really IS a spider.

The Harvestman is the type with the pea shaped body. incidentally.

I never said I was a world expert or anything, I just take a passing interest in these things and am always willing to learn!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Speicher said:
I did have an idea. As you are located at the cake shop, you could bring some cakes with you. Then I would let you rescue the spider. :wacko: I think I will just leave the door open overnight, and he or she will escape and disappear or hide under something else.

I'm sure I could arrange something, yes!

Now about the fox that comes into my garden in the early hours of the morning. Any suggestions to deter it?
A Toff on a horse with one of those hooter things to alert his dog?? (oh no, wait, that would keep you awake).

I shall be retiring shortly, after my late night attack of the munchies - raisins and a small glass of milk.
Hmmm, lovely!

I am having withdrawal symptoms from not having had any alcohol, ngggg!

Speicher said:
Waterboatmen - they are fascinating, the way they can "walk" on water. Are they flies or spiders?
Mad Doug Biker said:
And no, a Waterboatman isn't a spider, it's a kind of bug.
The ones that appear to 'walk' on water (using the surface tension) are Pond Skaters rather than Water Boatmen - also an insect, another species of 'true bug' (true bugs, hemiptera, are the order of insects that includes most of your familiar garden pests, aphids and so on). Water boatmen - also true bugs - swim underwater, they look like a sort of beetle with two long legs that function as paddles. Oddly enough, they are reputed to be venomous, though I've never heard of anyone being bitten by one. Pond skaters are harmless (unless you're a smaller insect, that is).

There is a British species of Water Spider, the one that takes an air bubble underwater with it. Less commonly seen.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
661-Pete said:
The ones that appear to 'walk' on water (using the surface tension) are Pond Skaters rather than Water Boatmen - also an insect, another species of 'true bug' (true bugs, hemiptera, are the order of insects that includes most of your familiar garden pests, aphids and so on). Water boatmen - also true bugs - swim underwater, they look like a sort of beetle with two long legs that function as paddles.
There is a British species of Water Spider, the one that takes an air bubble underwater with it. Less commonly seen.

Thanks for that. Most informative!

I really need to get back into it all again as I used to be into Lepidoptera, particularly moths in the past.

Actually, I saw a huge Hawkmoth at Brockenhurst Station as I was waiting for my train back home to Scotland the other night (train to Waterloo and then the Sleeper from Euston to Glasgow), but it wouldn't land for me to see what it was. Pity, I'd have loved to have seen it properly, although I was really willing it to fly to the surrounding countryside instead for it's own safety against stupid humans.

Cubist

Still wavin'
buggi said:
you reckon??

longers said:
You might know this Mad Doug, but do Daddy Longlegs have very strong venom but poor teeth as mentioned before?

This page answers both questions.
http://www.backyardnature.net/longlegs.htm

Harvestman , known as Daddy Longlegs, not really a spider as its body is fused into one lump.

Strongest venom bit is an urban myth.

Cubist

Still wavin'
longers said:
You might know this Mad Doug, but do Daddy Longlegs have very strong venom but poor teeth as mentioned before?

Mate of mine had pubic crabs and used to dust his genitals in sugar every evening. I expressed some doubt as to whether sugar would get rid of them, but he told me it rotted their teeth so he could get a decent nights sleep.

Top Bottom