Who is hibernating now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
That's all have been able to do so far, imagine. Let's hope after years of predicting snow that we actually get some this year.

i am with you there, as much as it will impede the commuting i don't care i just want to ride a forest covered in snow :smile: fingers x'd as they say.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Call that a winter ride? THIS is a winter ride!
Longs?

You some sort of big Jessie or something?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Continued not hibernating today with a quick 40+ mile spin around some of the local lanes. Headed into @Kestevan country with a loop through Saddleworth, Marsden, Meltham, nipped up Wessenden Head Road just for the fun of it then dropped down to Digley Res before tackling Holme Moss. 4,500ft of climbing.

upload_2016-11-8_13-52-17.png
There are easier ways to clock up 40 miles but that would be boring. I'll tell you who is hibernating though, bloody breakfast vans! All the places I am sure always have a van selling hot bacon rolls and drinks without fail were deserted, which was a bit of a let down because I intentionally took a pocket full of change so I could purchase a bacon & egg muffin and a warming hot choc.
I had to do the full ride with just my bottles of cold water for refreshment, and then only after chipping the ice off the top. Talking of ice, did spot a few patches on the road at the top of Wessenden Head and also all the puddles in the layby at the top of Holme Moss had a crusty ring of broken ice around them.
Anyway, that's my leisure ride done, back to commuting tomorrow......

upload_2016-11-8_13-59-40.png

400bhp

Guru
Battling the elements is half the fun!

Stood waiting on the top of Sky Road in the peaks for a friend who completely fluffed the climb was just character building, and I knew I was okay when the biting cold started to feel warm... :surrender:

Out of Greenfields? Lovely climb.

mythste

Veteran
Continued not hibernating today with a quick 40+ mile spin around some of the local lanes. Headed into @Kestevan country with a loop through Saddleworth, Marsden, Meltham, nipped up Wessenden Head Road just for the fun of it then dropped down to Digley Res before tackling Holme Moss. 4,500ft of climbing.

View attachment 150479 There are easier ways to clock up 40 miles but that would be boring. I'll tell you who is hibernating though, bloody breakfast vans! All the places I am sure always have a van selling hot bacon rolls and drinks without fail were deserted, which was a bit of a let down because I intentionally took a pocket full of change so I could purchase a bacon & egg muffin and a warming hot choc.
I had to do the full ride with just my bottles of cold water for refreshment, and then only after chipping the ice off the top. Talking of ice, did spot a few patches on the road at the top of Wessenden Head and also all the puddles in the layby at the top of Holme Moss had a crusty ring of broken ice around them.

View attachment 150481

Pretty sure thats the route more or less I took on Saturday, coming down from home moss to the reservoir - that lovely undulating fast route into Glossop is one my my favourite routes! Fast and punchy.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My knowledge of the area isn't great, but we climbed it from the side with the pub and roundabout at the bottom. between that, holm moss and snake pass we raelly are spoilt round here!
Sounds like the climb out of Greenfield alright. Mini roundabout at the bottom then climbs past Dovestones reservoir and just keeps climbing until you hit the moors which gently slope most of the way towards Holmfirth (it's a pig coming the other way because it is obviously a steady continual climb across the moors and just to add insult to injury 99.9% of the time this is into the wind).
The back road from Woodhead into Glossop passes the back of Torside reservoir which was mill pond still today and gave a near perfect reflection of the autumnal coloured hills on the far side of the valley. Wish I had taken a camera :sad:
We certainly are spoilt for choice, both for road and MTB riding on this side of Manchester.

mythste

Veteran
Sounds like the climb out of Greenfield alright. Mini roundabout at the bottom then climbs past Dovestones reservoir and just keeps climbing until you hit the moors which gently slope most of the way towards Holmfirth (it's a pig coming the other way because it is obviously a steady continual climb across the moors and just to add insult to injury 99.9% of the time this is into the wind).
The back road from Woodhead into Glossop passes the back of Torside reservoir which was mill pond still today and gave a near perfect reflection of the autumnal coloured hills on the far side of the valley. Wish I had taken a camera :sad:
We certainly are spoilt for choice, both for road and MTB riding on this side of Manchester.

If you're ever up for taking a newbie out on the MTB side of things please let me know! I know the roads but would be interested in exploring the bumpy bits!

Great day for a ride today. Just got back from a 60km ride and had the excuse to go a bit quicker as it was cold. A shade above freezing, but dry, so no ice. Brilliant ride. If it is dry, I'll ride.

View attachment 150479 There are easier ways to clock up 40 miles but that would be boring. I'll tell you who is hibernating though, bloody breakfast vans! All the places I am sure always have a van selling hot bacon rolls and drinks without fail were deserted, which was a bit of a let down because I intentionally took a pocket full of change so I could purchase a bacon & egg muffin and a warming hot choc.

View attachment 150481
Nice one Skol,to hell with taking it easy :thumbsup:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

View attachment 150481

Good effort Skol, Wessenden Head/Holme Moss combo is a real challenge. I did Snake Pass....both ways. Proper cold but roads were pretty dry so no ice problems

bigjim

Legendary Member
I won't go out if there is a chance of ice as I've been off too many times. I'm also very wary off going out before 11am if there is a strong low sun. Drivers seem to get off in court using low sun as an excuse for not seeing a bike. Otherwise I'm happy to ride year round. Grey dry days are my favourite.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Had planned on venturing out tomorrow.... Cragg Vale over to holingworth lake, then back over Isle of sky to Holmfirth...

Fingers crossed the snow holds off tonight and doesn't put the kybosh on my day off plans.

Had planned on venturing out tomorrow.... Cragg Vale over to holingworth lake, then back over Isle of sky to Holmfirth...

Fingers crossed the snow holds off tonight and doesn't put the kybosh on my day off plans.

Is that not the area with the longest ascent or something ?

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Already been out on few night time rides around the Gower.
Love this time of year. (Non-Roadie hybrid snert)
Most roadies seem to disappear for a few months around here when the dark nights and cold come in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom