Who is hibernating now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm toying with the idea of going out on a club run in the morning. The forecast is for possible rain and sleet and around 4C. 50 odd miles in that!?:cold: Mmm, i think i'll sleep on it.

Last edited:

GGJ

Veteran
Rain and sleet is ok, pedal fast enough and you will keep warm, but snow and ice are a different ball game

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is that not the area with the longest ascent or something ?

Yup..Cragg Vale is the longest continual ascent in England. Having said that, a lot of it is less than 3% so it's not a hard climb unless you have a headwind.

Forecast here was for snow this morning. Then the forecast changed to sleet. Actual situation is no snow at all at 600ft where I live. There is a bit on the hills but I guess it starts about 1500ft. Not bad cycling conditions really

Yup..Cragg Vale is the longest continual ascent in England. Having said that, a lot of it is less than 3% so it's not a hard climb unless you have a headwind.

Forecast here was for snow this morning. Then the forecast changed to sleet. Actual situation is no snow at all at 600ft where I live. There is a bit on the hills but I guess it starts about 1500ft. Not bad cycling conditions really

Still sounds good though :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Rain and sleet is ok, pedal fast enough and you will keep warm, but snow and ice are a different ball game

I didn't go as i slept in. I woke up at 9.15 which is the meet up time. Probably a blessing in disguise as it'd grim out there and my mate who keeps an aye on me is off on holiday today so he wasn't cycling today.

Reactions: GGJ
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was coming home from school 10 minutes ago and saw this chap riding his bike. It was pouring down and cold. He had what appeared to be like rain proof top but shorts on. I was in my car, dry and warm . I did not envy him at all.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was coming home from school 10 minutes ago and saw this chap riding his bike. It was pouring down and cold. He had what appeared to be like rain proof top but shorts on. I was in my car, dry and warm . I did not envy him at all.
I'm sure he pitied you, being stuck in your tin box when he was out doing what he enjoys.
I rode into work for a short meeting today and will be riding in again tonight for my proper shift. Cycling is just too much fun to be wasting time driving to work.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I'm sure he pitied you, being stuck in your tin box when he was out doing what he enjoys.
I rode into work for a short meeting today and will be riding in again tonight for my proper shift. Cycling is just too much fun to be wasting time driving to work.
I am sure he wasn't because he looked miserable but each to his own.

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Decided that discretion was the better part of cowardice this morning. Woke up to steady snow, and the tops were seriously white. Probably not a good idea to start criss-crossing the moors in that sort of weather, and the top of Cragg Vale and the Isle of Sky Road are both high enough to have serious snowfall very quickly.

Stuck (mainly) to the main roads and valley bottoms, and nipped over to Cannon Hall farm for lunch, only 30miles but nice to get out and clear the lungs.

bigjim

Legendary Member
4 degrees when I went out this morning. Got caught in a short sharp shower then a good run to the church coffee stop for a cheese toastie before putting the layers back on and completing 27 miles ish. Loved it and nearly talked myself out of going. Note to self. Must man up more often.
Somebody once said "there is no bad weather, just bad clothing choice". Don't know who it was.

Tilley

Über Member
I recently obtained a turbo trainer to work on my cadence and endurance during the worst of the wet and cold weather. However a chest infection has put paid to any and all cycling for at least a week.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
View attachment 150523 Snowing tonight so looking like I might be going into hibernation tomorrow. Nothing worse than sliding around busy roads trying to keep out from underneath motorised vehicles that are also sliding around
All gone by this morning here!
Seems it's going to be freezing tomorrow, back to mild again on Friday.

GGJ

Veteran
Was late afternoon before the snow cleared from here. Forecast is 0°C tonight, tomorrow is sunny intervals and 6°C with <5% risk of rain. The single speed will be out and about tomorrow.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
5°c, stiff wind and rain here today. Started out in the cape but had to quickly switch to conventional waterproofs when a crosswind whipped up on an exposed fen. Was dry enough and warm enough otherwise. After I got home, I was happy enough to don waterproofs again to pop to the shop three miles away. Cold, windy with moderate rain is fine with the right clothes.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Me and the wife are off out for a few hours tomorrow, forecast is 8 degrees and dry, we may even get some sun. Definitely not hibernating weather just yet! I may even forego the overshoes if it's that nice.
My social group that I used to ride with in the summer are all tucked up for the winter already. Not heard a peep from them since mid October.

Top Bottom