Who Is Using What Tyres And Best Results Please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
I'd rather ride lighter, grippier tyres and get one puncture a month or so (usually from glass on city streets) than ride heavy, less grippy tyres and only get a puncture every few months.

Almost all my punctures are caused by glass and occur in the city. On rural roads punctures should be extremely rare.

So I'd recommend Michelin Pro 3 or Pro 4. Learn how to fix a puncture, carry either 2 x CO2 cartridges and a micro pump or a good pump that gets you to >100psi effortlessly (which most mini pumps don't) and carry a couple of spare tubes on long rides and there really isn't anything to be worried about.

Albert

Über Member
Rubinos.

Cyclist33

+1 for giant stock tyres. Not the lightest but not the heaviest either. Mine weigh 270g each. No punctures yet.

bornagainst

Über Member
Rubino Pro are regularly available cheap. I've found them tough but a tiny bit slippy in the wet.

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Personal favourite. Tough and grippy.

Schwalbe Durano Plus. Pretty much indestructible, but heavy and feel a bit slow.

goody

Veteran
Durano plus on the commuter no 'issues' in about 7000 miles heavy tyre though. Ultremo ZX on the best bike 1 'issue' in 1500 miles.

RhythMick

Über Member
My only experience has been with Schwalbe Marathon +, of which I have both 35mm and 25mm. Punctures are rare, perhaps 2 in 2 years. However they are tricky to get back on unless you practise. I can now do it without using levers and haven't had a pinch flat since. Technique important, problem for a clumsy oaf like me.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Gatorskin folding - only 2 unplanned deflations in around 4000 miles. Put off Pro 3s by the ease with which they cut up on top dressed roads - lasted just one summer.

bahamas

i am looking for the best tyre upgrade for my caad 8

i am doing 117 charity cycle in august and dont really want a puncture...

who is using what ?

how many puntures etc...

thanks

Highly recommend the Specialized Roubaix Pro 28/25. Great endurance tire

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used Marathon + for two years of commuting in London every day and never had a visit from the Fairy while riding my hybrid. I think that that says a lot about its reputation. They are horrid to put on the rim when they are new, but they get easier as they get older. You can do it on the roadside without any difficulty once they have got a bit flexible. BTW, before anybody spots the logical flaw, I FUBARed a valve trying to pump the tube in the Marathon, hence the need for a tyre refit.
I'm on Continental GP Four Seasons on the road bike at the moment. I've had a couple of visits on the daily commute but they seem OK. I had another somewhere in Essex in the middle of the night , but nothing too un-manageable. After the daily trash of London roads, you don't really expect a P in the country, do you? Conti Four Seasons are OK.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Highly recommend the Specialized Roubaix Pro 28/25. Great endurance tire

I'd not put any Specialized tyre on any bike, ever. Not since tyre with less than 2000 miles on it blew out - complete sidewall failure - while standing in the hallway. Had that happened on the road the love of my life would have been off. They make great frames, but they source crap tyres. Great inner tubes, though

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Contra the estimable dellzeqq, the two blowouts I've had recently* both happened to Schwalbe tyres. A Marathon plus on the Brompton exploded in a wine bar, and a Durano plus with a few hundred miles on it on the front of the tandem blew out just south of Carter Bar. The first was a failed tyre, the second probably a failed tube which buggered the tyre. Those of you who know Carter Bar will be able to work out what would have happened if the second had happened half an hour later.

Having just read "It is about the bike", where there's a loving description of making tyres in the Continental factory (essentially a manual process because there's no other sensible way of doing it) it's surprising there aren't more tyre failures.

*as in not in my childhood - I had one back then on the back wheel when riding very slowly.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
i am looking for the best tyre upgrade for my caad 8

i am doing 117 charity cycle in august and dont really want a puncture...

who is using what ?

how many puntures etc...

thanks

As others have said, if the main criterion is puncture-proofing, get a Marathon plus or (more likely given the bike) a Durano plus. However, if you are reasonably sensible on-road and don't ride into potholes or bits of discarded metal (don't ask me how I know this) just about any tyre that's not past it and has been checked over and de-flinted should last you 117km.

potsy

Rambler
Would you really want a M+ on a bike like a Caad8 though?
Depends on the type of riding the OP is doing leisure/commuting/racing etc I expect.

Top Bottom