Who is your favourite GCN presenter and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
None, don't watch YouTube videos

I used to say that a few years ago, but now a tiny proportion of what you and I would call 'just YouTube videos' are proper programmes.

For example, the GCN Epic Ride in Andalucia linked in this thread is a nicely produced cycling travelogue.

As @ColinJ alludes to, the trick is sorting the small amount of wheat from the much larger amount of chaff.

I like most things made by Matt Stephens, who now works for Sigma Sports.

He does sometimes try too hard to be funny.

Some of his stuff is no more than a puff for the brand, but his series of rides with cycling personalities are worth a watch.

He also did some good videos on the routes used for the cycling championships in Yorkshire.

Those videos appealed to me partly because I've ridden a lot of the roads.

Put 'Matt Stephens' or 'Sigma Sports' into the YouTube search box and you may be pleasantly surprised.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Considering the cost, GCN is pretty good, no complaints here. I do miss Matt, though.
I remember watching the video where they announced Matt was leaving. I got the impression that GCN had made an executive decision that they wanted the presenters to be all young and hip.

This pissed me off and I have not watched GCN anything like as much since.

I also think this was a mistake. Remember the success of Grumpy Old Men. There much be huge numbers of older cyclists who like to see their point of view expressed.

On this forum there are lots of older posters with various war stories and timeless cycling anecdotes. If these posters left cyclechat it would be a similar tragedy.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I tend to find the bigger networks on FaceTube a bit cliche and geared towards impressing sponsors too much and/or try to emulate Jeremy Clarkson sometimes by trying to be ironic and funny which ends up being neither. This is a general observation and not ALL are like this but i don't often give people a second chance to impress me so i move on. Not enough time to fart about...

Mike_P

Guru
I remember watching the video where they announced Matt was leaving. I got the impression that GCN had made an executive decision that they wanted the presenters to be all young and hip.
Matt said he was going to do more work for Eurosport, given they are under common control possibly a sideways or promoting move but with the consequence of having insufficient time to meet GCN demands.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Matt said he was going to do more work for Eurosport, given they are under common control possibly a sideways or promoting move but with the consequence of having insufficient time to meet GCN demands.
Then promptly appeared as a presenter on Sigma Sports channel - a cafe ride with current and ex pros that's fantastic

View: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMWi0rb1SwQHnDbv25G0vxLp0EXkr9pGo

Top Bottom