Who rides a standard crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
One with a 130mm BCD
I've got a 122BCD...

ChrisEyles

Guru
I ride an old-standard 52/42 with a 14-28 five speed block on the back, and the gearing is perfect for hilly Devon - hard work on the steeper gradients but not unmanageably so. If I'd left the original 14-25 freewheel on I'd be struggling though!

I've had a go on a compact (50/34) and didn't get on with the big jump between chainrings, and the need to cross-chain at my typical riding speed.

On my tourer/commuter I have a 48/38/28 triple with an 11-32 cassette, which to me is the best of both worlds - super-low gears, a nice straight chainline and no huge jumps between gears.

Citius

No such thing as a "standard crank", unless of course it has just been invented on here. Which has precedence.

It only became necessary to define 130mm cranks as 'standard' when 110mm 'compact' cranks turned up. The term wasn't necessary before then.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It only became necessary to define 130mm cranks as 'standard' when 110mm 'compact' cranks turned up. The term wasn't necessary before then.
Those are not the dimensions of cranks - they are bolt circle diameters!
The reason I ask is because I've just done a local short climb on a road bike with a standard crank and was 3 mins slower than when I rode my 15kg hardball mtb. It was a time of 15 mins, with the fastest times of 6 mins. I spent most of the time off the saddle because everything I sat it felt like the brakes were on.
Did you check to see if the brakes were on? :okay:

Not quite as facetious a question as you might think ...

A mate exhausted himself on the first 55 miles of one edition of the Manchester 100 when he did not notice that his rear brake was rubbing.

I did the 200 km Red Rose Ride audax with my rear brake rubbing and it half-killed me - I asked the rider behind me to look at my rear brake and he said it was ok. I only discovered that the left hand block was rubbing when we got back to the car park at the end of the event. It turned out he could only see the right hand block from where he was positioned when I asked him! :wacko:

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Thanks for all the comments. I will also check the brakes tomorrow. I will look at the chain-rings and the rear cassette and see what I am riding. I would like to maintain the tall ratio if possible but also have a much shorter gear for climbing on my next bike if possible? Maybe a semi-compact setup would work best for me? But I understand that if I am looking at second hand I may have to change this around.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

and before then, 144mm bcd was 'standard', before Campag invented a new 'standard' of 135mm.
I use 144, 135, 130, 110, 86 and 74mm bcd chainrings on various bikes - and it doesn't mean that I have to use 34/50 on the 110mm crankset!

Citius

Crank in this case means crankset, which appears to be the cause of confusion.

Not sure if there is any confusion. In recent history, road double cranks/cranksets were typically 130mm BCD, right up until the marketing chaps brought out 'compacts'...

Top Bottom