Who rides a standard crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

The reason I ask is because I've just done a local short climb on a road bike with a standard crank and was 3 mins slower than when I rode my 15kg hardball mtb. It was a time of 15 mins, with the fastest times of 6 mins. I spent most of the time off the saddle because everything I sat it felt like the brakes were on.

I ride a standard, a compact and a semi compact. If you're turning the standard it'll be faster but if not and your grinding it'll be slower. My favourite is the 38/52 semi compact and a wide range cassette.

Drago

Legendary Member
Compact. I'm old, heavy, have mudguards and more often than not some kind of luggage too. As you can see from my new avatar picture, I'm no Wiggo ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Unless the hill is severe or you are not fit enough and you need a very low gear there is no reason why a double should be any slower than a compact. I did a hilly 100 mile ride in the Pennines a couple of weeks ago using a standard double and I didn't feel the crankset was holding me back, it gives the majority of the same gear ratios without the big drop between the front rings and a hooligan gear for hammering down long descents.

winjim

Smash the cistern
CdF has a compact 34-50 with a 9sp 11-30 cassette which is right on the limit of its capability so I'm converting it to a triple to make it a proper all season load lugger.

The late Bianchi had a compact 34-50 with a 10sp 12-25 cassette, but the new Spitfire's getting a standard 39-52 with a 12-29 11sp cassette so actually a wider range overall. Might change it for a 12-27 if I decide it's too easy.

Clear?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have 39/53 and another bike with 38/50. I ride the lower geared bike a lot more and spend more of the ride in the big ring. The standard geared bike is quicker around my regular route.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
CdF has a compact 34-50 with a 9sp 11-30 cassette which is right on the limit of its capability so I'm converting it to a triple to make it a proper all season load lugger.

The late Bianchi had a compact 34-50 with a 10sp 12-25 cassette, but the new Spitfire's getting a standard 39-52 with a 12-29 11sp cassette so actually a wider range overall. Might change it for a 12-27 if I decide it's too easy.

Clear?

Spitfire? As in titanium? Tell me more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I believe the now "standard" compact 34/50 with 11-28 is adequate for most amateur riders.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Spitfire? As in titanium? Tell me more.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-titanium.56645/post-3740056

Yep, titanium Spin Spitfire III. Got a good deal on a pre-owned refurbished frame with Enve fork and mix of Ti and carbon finishing kit. It was the last chance to buy myself something nice before the baby arrived. Build progressing very slowly due to aforementioned baby, but will have Campagnolo Chorus groupset and my own handbuilt wheels. ^_^ Praying I get time to finish the build and ride it before summer completely disappears. Currently in this state:
20150817_200925.jpg

bpsmith

Veteran
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-titanium.56645/post-3740056

Yep, titanium Spin Spitfire III. Got a good deal on a pre-owned refurbished frame with Enve fork and mix of Ti and carbon finishing kit. It was the last chance to buy myself something nice before the baby arrived. Build progressing very slowly due to aforementioned baby, but will have Campagnolo Chorus groupset and my own handbuilt wheels. ^_^ Praying I get time to finish the build and ride it before summer completely disappears. Currently in this state:
View attachment 101450
Does the bubble wrap and packing tape help with compliance? :smile:

Looks like a very nice frame that!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have been thinking about it for a while now. You'll have to let me know how it rides. Very well indeed is my my guess.

si_c

Guru
Running a 52/42 with a 12-25 at the back. Thinking of switching to a 11-32 instead, just to make it easier up some hills, rather spin than grind.

@derrick a standard crank is a double crank usually with a 53 or 52 tooth big ring and a 42 or 39 small ring. A compact crank which most bikes come with is often a 50/34 instead meaning it is much easier for most people to tackle hills.

Top Bottom