Who rides a standard crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Because you were referring to cranks being compact, whereas it is the chainrings which are.

No. A compact crank has a 110bcd. The smaller bcd enables a smaller inner ring to be used, typically down to 34t. This is effectively what defines it as a 'compact'. The smallest inner in a 'standard' crank is 39t (poss 38t, not sure). If you have a 110bcd crank, you can still fit 53/39 rings to it (ie 'standard' gearing) but it remains a compact crank nonetheless.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Sorry I've caused this confusion, I posted up crankset and I meant to say chainset. My fault!

Citius

Are we talking chain rings here, and if so what is a standard chain ring:wacko:

Disregarding historical uses of 144mm, 135mm, etc, etc - standard chainrings will fit standard cranks, compact chainrings will fit compact cranks. Compact chainrings - being a smaller bcd - will offer a lower range of gearing, if that is what is needed. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Citius

Crankset is a pair of cranks, chainset is a pair of cranks plus however many chainrings are required

Cranks are cranks. Crank arms are crank arms. Crankset is often used in place of chainset - meaning the full assembly including rings. I don't think the SAS will be coming through your windows at home if you use the wrong term.

Tin Pot

Guru
I have a 172.5mm crank, apparently 165mm could be a better choice for my tiny pins.

Chainset is compact. I don't really see why a standard would be preferable if you do distance and hills.

Cranks are cranks. Crank arms are crank arms. Crankset is often used in place of chainset - meaning the full assembly including rings. I don't think the SAS will be coming through your windows at home if you use the wrong term.
A crank is already an arm, since its meaning implies a lever on a spindle. There is no such thing as a crank arm. Left crank, right crank, crankset. A chainsest is a set of chains. I have no idea how many chains in a set.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Disregarding historical uses of 144mm, 135mm, etc, etc - standard chainrings will fit standard cranks, compact chainrings will fit compact cranks. Compact chainrings - being a smaller bcd - will offer a lower range of gearing, if that is what is needed. That's pretty much all there is to it.
I know what all the bits are, i just wanted to be sure what the original poster meant? And i am still none the wiser:okay:

Top Bottom