Who said women can't reverse park!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
From my own abilities, I should be able to jump to the defence of women drivers. All of the women in my family are brilliant drivers (my sister was a paramedic and drove ambulances and fast response cars.. of which you only have one chance to pass the test or your out). No woman in my family that i know of has had to have more than 14 lessons before passing (maybe it's genetic? or just the fact that we're all very hands-on practical girls). One guy i went on a date with told me he'd never met a woman who could drive before. And my driving instructor knew instantly on my first lesson that i was a cyclist because of my observation skills.
All the girls in our family can reverse park, reverse round corners, etc etc, in one go, and we can all get in tight gaps, no matter the size of the car.

But unfortunately... i can't defend women. i have only 2 friends who i feel safe with, then about 40% of the rest i can get in a car with and suffer their driving, and then after that... i make any excuse to drive myself. One girl won't say how many times she failed her manual test before she took it in an automatic and passed. How she passed the automatic i'll never know, the examiner must have just been sick of the sight of her. She drives the equivalent of a go-kart, all she has to do is steer and still she causes mayhem.

I have colleagues at work who have driven into the building (!!!) when parking, and into the pillars in the basement that hold the building up(!!!). The other day my dad had to park a car for a woman in a car park, just like the OP, after she was holding the traffic up. I was wetting myself when he told me the story.
One friend in particular... well, i'm surprised she hasn't killed anyone.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Would you marry a woman who could reverse park well though? I don't think I would.

Chris Sirrus

Call me sceptical but I somehow doubt that being a woman makes you worse at parking a car.

I do think that we tend to notice women who drive badly more than we notice men who drive badly for some reason.

jonesy

Guru
buggi said:
From my own abilities, I should be able to jump to the defence of women driver...

...But unfortunately... i can't defend women. ...

One friend in particular... well, i'm surprised she hasn't killed anyone.

Ffs, it's the men that are doing the killing!

In 2005 there were 1,106 car drivers and 557 passengers killed on the roads of Great Britain, with a ratio of 3.7 male drivers to every female and 1.3 male passengers to every female. Men aged under 30 years make up 44% of male driver deaths and women under 30 make up 38% of female driver deaths. This is a large burden of injury and is out of proportion with the number of men and women of this age in the driving population.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme5/trendsfatalcar76.pdf

I find it easier to reverse into a parking space than drive in. My neighbour lives in the very corner of a cul de sac. I think it is so difficult to drive in, and even more difficult to drive out. I have tried to suggest tactfully (yes) that she reverses in so she wouldn't bang car door on the fence (ha) when she gets out. She still makes a real pudding of it both ways.
Oh, yes, I'm female too - but I did have a stint of artic driving which helped with the mirrors & managed to get through the iAM. One thing I've got off as I've got older, is driving fast, like I used to do when I was younger!

Chris Sirrus said:
Call me sceptical but I somehow doubt that being a woman makes you worse at parking a car.

I do think that we tend to notice women who drive badly more than we notice men who drive badly for some reason.

I got a lift down Oxford Road Manchester to the station, a good 10 minutes walk which I normally do but I needed to get an early train. A member of my course gave me a lift (a male) and although I was glad of the lift, I couldn't believe what a jerky driver he was. Jab on the brakes, jab on the gas, I felt quite sick when I got out. Nothing like gradually braking when you anticipate a stop.

Debian

reiver said:
No, certainly not idiots but often very arrogant people. People seem to drive these vehicle in a very aggressive manner, they seem to come far too close while i'm on the bike, they are very often chatting on the phone, regularly illegally parked, always seem to have the disabled parking at the supermarket taken up. They do seem to be the favoured vehicle of obnoxious gits.

Its the larger 4x4s i am referring too such as Range Rovers, Discovery's, Shoguns, Cayenne, Volvo, audi ,bmw, and especially any of them horrendous truck cab things with names like Warrior, Navram, Thunder etc.

Really?

Well, it seems that this post was written by a very arrogant person who loves to generalise.

In my experience drivers of 4x4s are no worse, and possibly as a group a bit better than most. I've been driving 4x4s since long before most people had heard the term "4x4", I used to partake of off-road trials and challenge competitions, I still own three 4x4s and many of my friends also own 4x4s. I drive, and always have driven courteously; all of my 4x4 owning friends have always, IMO driven courteously.

I can't recall the last time I had a close pass, or other dangerous encounter with a 4x4 but I've had quite a few from trucks, "sporty" hatchmobiles and motorbikes, curiously enough.

As I posted earlier in this thread, the term 4x4 seems to have become synonymous with devil worship for no good reason that I can discern.

Debian

Rhythm Thief said:
What have you got? I love early Range Rovers, especially if they've been shortened and modded for pure off road capability.:wacko:

I have owned several Classic (Mk1) Range Rovers including a couple of bobtails. Nothing has come close to the sheer off-road enjoyment of a bobbed and lifted 3.5L V8 Range Rover for me :thumbsup: The trouble was that they were so flaky from a reliability point of view but the exhaust note....... :tongue: :tongue: :ohmy:

Sadly I no longer own any green oval badged products. I have a Toyota land Cruiser, the 4.5L petrol VX, lifted and big-wheeled, a highly modified and uprated challenge-spec Suzuki Samurai and a Jeep Wrangler.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Debian,

FFS we all know there are 4*4 enthusiasts (and folks who need one for work) who drive them well and considerately. OTOH there are plenty bought because they're 'safer' or as a status symbol. No time soon am I forgiving the Kuga owner who hooted and cut up my daughter on her first time out in the family car. Which bit of the big red L in the back window was so hard to follow???

Top Bottom