Who said women can't reverse park!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

reiver said:
I forgot about those whose idea of a big day out is to get their pride and joy stuck in the mud, then spend the rest of the day trying to extract it, they are idiots:laugh::wacko::laugh::thumbsup:

There I do agree with you old boy. The whole idea of driving off-road is to do so skilfully, safely, efficiently, without getting stuck, without breaking anything on the car, enjoying the view and leaving as little evidence of one's passing as possible. That's my philosophy. Tread lightly to coin a phrase.

There are those whose idea of fun is to go out in a 4x4 in conditions that are too wet, get stuck, spend hours winching themselves and others out, maybe breaking a driveshaft or CV joint, destroying the lane for others and calling that a fun day out. The crowd that says "if you broke nothing you aren't trying hard enough". Morons IMHO!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Debian said:
There I do agree with you old boy. The whole idea of driving off-road is to do so skilfully, safely, efficiently, without getting stuck, without breaking anything on the car, enjoying the view and leaving as little evidence of one's passing as possible. That's my philosophy. Tread lightly to coin a phrase.
!!

Enjoying the view? Tread lightly?
:wacko:

Debian said:

There are those whose idea of fun is to go out in a 4x4 in conditions that are too wet, get stuck, spend hours winching themselves and others out, maybe breaking a driveshaft or CV joint, destroying the lane for others and calling that a fun day out. The crowd that says "if you broke nothing you aren't trying hard enough". Morons IMHO!!

Oh, yes. I should point out that I wasn't endorsing that particular view of green laning ... if you get stuck, you've lost.:ohmy:

Debian

rich p said:
Enjoying the view? Tread lightly?
:sad:

Yes, by driving on roads. Roads that just don't have any tarmac on them. Both of the clips I posted earlier were filmed on roads.

You have a problem with that? :smile:

Debian said:
I have owned several Classic (Mk1) Range Rovers including a couple of bobtails. Nothing has come close to the sheer off-road enjoyment of a bobbed and lifted 3.5L V8 Range Rover for me :smile: The trouble was that they were so flaky from a reliability point of view but the exhaust note....... :sad: :sad: :biggrin:

Sadly I no longer own any green oval badged products. I have a Toyota land Cruiser, the 4.5L petrol VX, lifted and big-wheeled, a highly modified and uprated challenge-spec Suzuki Samurai and a Jeep Wrangler.

My husband's got a 1972 (think) 2 door Range Rover, bought to tow things with for his business. We call it 'Old Bailey' because he bought it from a guy in Woodford with land backing onto the old Woodford aircraft factory, a canny guy who wouldn't budge on price, but we liked him. It has a Perkins diesel engine fitted, sounds like a truck but does over 30 to gallon. Doesn't go at all fast though, so I like going in it.

I've a 1972 Volkswagen Kafer (a proper Beetle) which I chugg along in. I wouldn't be without my car but do use it sparingly and mostly go to shopping centre by bike as it's more efficient.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Debian said:
Yes, by driving on roads. Roads that just don't have any tarmac on them. Both of the clips I posted earlier were filmed on roads.

You have a problem with that? :biggrin:

Blimey, you're not going to ask me outside are you?
I have to warn you that I'm 9 stone of solid weed and wear glasses;)

gbs

Guru
Debian said:
What relevance is it to the story that she was driving a four wheel drive vehicle?

Crap parking yes, but I can discern no reason for 4x4 to be singled out as though this fact automatically makes the driver an idiot!

If you want to collect data re 4x4, women and thoughtless/inconsiderate driving/parking then spend some time in Fulham or alternatively speak to my wife - she is frequently made incandescent by the actions of some of the stupid bitches around here (my language, not hers). For these people there are as priorities 1) dropping off little Tarquin/Tamsin - yes they have such names 2) texting 3) gossiping with other yummymummies on the pavement but with car doors open - both sides. It is easy driving such large cars here - simply occcupy the crown of the road.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
I saw a worse case that the first youtube video in surbiton on thursday last. Guy pulls next to a space to parallel park into it, plenty of room. takes him 11 attempts to get in and nearly 5 minutes. He would pull in, and then for no reason, pull out and try again.

Totally stupid, the heat makes people do some odd things. He even got in the space twice and just pulled out again and tried again. One of the oddest things i think i had ever seen,

Brahan

Über Member
I was at a BBQ a couple of weeks ago and things were in full swing when one of my friends arrived laughing that she had just written her car off. She had managed to smash into the only car which was parked on the stretch of road approaching my mate's house.

As her story continued one of the guys was asking more and more questions about the state of the other car and she was saying that the car was a crap heap anyway and that it shouldn't have been parked there and that it wasn't her fault etc. His face dropped as he slowly realised that it was his car that she was describing.

I shouldn't have laughed but.....hah.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just to join in with the pro-4x4 posters on here; this was our money-pit until a year ago when we finally sold it to raise cash for a new boiler. It was ex-RAF and had over 225,000 miles on it, it was getting a bit shabby although in superb mechanical condition. We miss it badly, especially during the snow. We will definitely get another one, maybe a tax-exempt S111 109" as a fun car.

A lovely family day out in the South Lakes when we saw nobody and met no other vehicle:

January2009093.jpg

A slightly scarey moment when I realised the current was dragging the back end downstream:

DSC_2435-1.jpg

My wife was a great driver in her own car, however that car is now on a scrap yard, our current car she's a little bit timid in but thats cos she's not used to having power steering and just still getting used to it - she could do to drive it a bit more than she does really.

I trust her parking, she's not bumped the car yet.

Went out today to Comet. 10 am car park is huge and pretty much deserted. Whilst chaining the bike up to a lampost (silly me, thinking in that such a massive parking area for hundreds of cars there would be a bike rack). Driver pulls into the disabled bay next to lampost, but misjudges it a bit and only gets half the car square into the bay. Backs out and gets it even worse by parking bang in the middle of 2 disabled bays. Gives up and walks into store. No blue badge to be seen.
Ignorance and arrogance of some people.

Top Bottom