Who takes a frying pan when cycle camping?

Who takes a frying pan when cycle camping? Post a Poll

• Always

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Never

• Sometimes

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
I'm looking to buy a new lightweight cook set for 2 people when cycle camping, but can't make up my mind whether to get one with a frying pan or not. I do like a hearty bacon and egg breakfast sometimes, but realise its not always possible to get/carry these supplies sometimes when in more remote areas.

Am also unsure how big a set of pans to get - I think 1 litre pans are too small for two, the MSR Titan Cookset (1.5 Litre and 1 Litre pans) is tempting, as is very light, but am thinking maybe too small and doesn't come with a frying pan - maybe a 2 Litre and a 1.5 Litre pan would be better? Its a pity MSR don't do this as a set, would have to buy the 2 litre pan seperately... I like the idea of two seperate pans, as prefer to keep one for just boiling things in, so that my coffee doesn't taste of curry/soup/beanfeast....

What, you don't take a kettle?!

As for the frying pan, yep take a small one that doubles as a pot lid or plate.

ChrisCrc

My sister years ago bought me some little pots (3) that fit inside themselves and are useful for all types of cooking and are so light that you really dont know you are carrying them.

God i really love my pots......:angry:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I bought one en route last year as I discovered I couldn't do without one. It was heavier than ideal but worth it all the same!

yello

Small sauce pan and frying pan are touring essentials! I personally didn't bother with a kettle, just used the sauce pan.

Usually, for me, cooking meant throwing everything into the sauce pan and heating it. As frying could be done in a sauce pan then you could arguably do without a fry pan too. But a 2nd pot of some kind makes life simpler and as you can cook/boil in a fry pan, I chose to take one.

ASC1951

Guru
I always take on because it comes with the Trangia, but I use it as a lid rather than for frying.

I don't eat cooked breakfasts and IME the traditional fry-up isn't good cycling fodder anyway.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
got a have one if you cook on tour. it doubles a pan lid and upside down it's a reasonable chopping board....great frisbee too:laugh:

Ron

Some cooking sets have a 'fryingpan' made like an aluminium milk bottle top! nad only useful for a lid.

I bought mine at Mabelthorpe Sunday market for £3 in about '93 still going strong.

Being made of steel and the nonstick long gone, with oil it sticks less than ally. Thought I'd found the ideal oil solution in one if these aerosol spray oil tins. So convenient I thought until I discovered that it was mostly water! The fried egg stuck like mad and ented up scrambled.

Ron

I don't eat cooked breakfasts and IME the traditional fry-up isn't good cycling fodder anyway.[/quote]

High protien is more sustaining than Hi carb. Saw it on one of these telly experiments.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bah! You lightweight folk. Get a Le Creuset frying pan...;)

The one my Mum has would take out a horse if you used it as a weapon. Assuming you could lift it....

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
One spin off of military mess tins will sort your frying pan problems out. For some years a mess tin lid with extendable handle has been made by a private firm. The inside is non-stick. You should be able to get it from any of the businesses which sell kit to squaddies. It's thin and flat and so should easily stuff into the side of a pannier.

Top Bottom