Who's been watching A House Through Time on TV?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just watched episode 3 of 4 of this fascinating programme about 62 Falkner street in Liverpool. It's amazing how much can be found out by professional researchers from newspaper archives and birth, death & marriage records. We've watched the house go slowly from a smart Georgian townhouse in Britain's second city to little more than a dosshouse. The decline really accelerated after WW1 when it was owned by one family who made saddles and tack but whose business died as redundant military trucks came home from Europe, motorised transport took over and 3 million horses were slaughtered. The same mechanisation wiped out the Pennine packhorse trade. From then on the house was inhabited by several families who shared a kitchen on the landing. Liverpool declined as a port, but the BBC fails to mention the devastating impact of the Manchester Ship Canal, which opened in 1894 and allowed Manchester's merchants and manufacturers to bypass Liverpool altogether, killing the port.

The final episode will be the most interesting for me because it will follow the continued decline of the house through the 60s and onwards until, presumably, the realisation that this is a house of quality worth saving, refurbishment and re-gentrification, which I guess must have started around 2000.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Excellent programme

D

Deleted member 1258

It's been a fascinating series, I've enjoyed it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Love it. The presenter is very good.
Last nights episode was slightly different now that there are people alive who knew the residents.
I wonder how much research they did before picking that house? Did they go through other really boring houses first.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I guess they could have picked any house in the street as they would all have told the same story of social change, industrial ruination and revival. I sometimes think that Liverpool cut its own throat by allowing the strikes, delays, pilferage and overcharging at the port, which drove Manchester's manufacturers to pool their resources and build the canal.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m catching up, I’m a couple of episodes behind.

Great series.

Top Bottom