Why are Brompton folding bikes so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have Brompton and a Dahon. Dahon not used once since I had the Brompton. The Brompton folds properly and rides almost as well when the front bag is on.
I too have a Dahon - Speed Pro. Great fun (when it works) - but not a patch on the Brompton for build quality. I avoid buying spares for the Dahon as I have the feeling it might die any minute. It has also cost me a fair bit one way and another. My five speed Brommie is pretty much last century. Built like a tank. Has done loads of shopping, been chucked under supermarket trolleys, flown, been on loads of buses (a favourite trick of mine in Nottingham was to overtake a bus and get on at the next stop so fast was the fold) and up mountains.

In short, although I am somewhat careful with my money and pooh pooh a fair bit of modern cycling stuff I don't think the Brommie is overpriced.

Last edited:
[QUOTE 5321265, member: 45"]Only a fool buys a Brompton.

I've commuted by train since 1967 on two cut-down scaffolding pipes and three trolley wheels. Unbolted, it all sits under the train seat. I don't understand why people buy new bikes when you can't beat what I got. I stole the parts, so they've not cost me a penny.[/QUOTE]
A totally out of order response to skipdiver's more than reasonable post. I suggest you read/reread it.

Skipdiver - on Bickertons (though I remember the ads fondly from my distant youth) I have the impression that they are indeed somewhat bendy/flexy/twitchy. I have a vague memory that I rode one for a short while and was a bit unnerved. Definitely been unconvinced on peering at them closely. I see them as curiosities/pioneers/a brave attempt befofre their time at getting folks out of their cars.

Pic of Speed Pro above. The Brommie has been to exactly the same spot (don't have pic to hand) and in truth I was more confident of getting back on the brommie.

edit:

The Brommie/same place.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
I know two Brompton owners, both are very satisfied with their bikes and do not consider them frivolous or extravagant purchases. One of them also has an owned-from-new 531 Dawes Galaxy as his full-sized bike, so I consider him to be quite a discerning cyclist who knows that price and value are two different things. I've had a ride on one, but they aren't for me - I just don't get on with the way they handle compared to a large wheel machine.
Whatever became of the Bickertons? Someone else I know has got one to sling in the boot of his car, and is quite enthusiastic about it. I've never ridden it though, can't comment whether it's any more predictable than a Brompton. I'd imagine it's rather twitchy and bumpy.

Bickerton.... I guess you mean one of these that our shop had in the 1970's

40631d532138bc7e4dbd8b40e7aa3136--classic-health.jpg

I think they are now rebadged Tern's

I think I briefly had one as a kid that looked similar. Acquired second hand in one of my dad's ill-advised adventures into the small ads in the local rag. Too big for me. Great big brown thing. Burst a tyre doing skids and don't remember it after that. Are those the ones prone to rust?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 5319672, member: 45"]Bromptons are medieval bikes designed for the circus, with old-fashioned components. Serious Bromptoneers have to adapt their bikes to make them decent. They're overpriced pig-iron, riding on a reputation that is no longer valid.

Only nobbers ride Bromptons.

And clowns. Clowns like Bromptons.[/QUOTE]
Two and a half years later I simply have to requote a post.

Despite what @User says - they're priced fairly for what you get. Which is a well-designed, well-made, well-thought-out versatile bike that also doubles as a solution to the problem of multi-modal travel.

swansonj

Guru
When I was unable to get to sleep the other night, I fell to trying mentally to create the angle of the hinges to reproduce the folds of a Brompton. I failed utterly and concluded it is in fact magic.

Conradm

Regular
Pulling at threads gets you places, Ariadne.
I got a big cheap car that I can put a full size bike in. Trains in the UK carry full size bikes, don't they? Or have locking up places. Both ends?
Little wheels were a 60s fashion, hence the bickerton, moulton and rsw. Folding 'em is another selling point, maybe. Those commuters at our station who apparently needed the wheels seemed 60/40 Brompton/electric scooters. Who really loves electric scooters?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 5321712, member: 45"]Nah. I don't know how any Bromptonette can think that with the prehistoric handlebar clamp staring at you during every stroke.[/QUOTE]
Politics of envy.

Top Bottom