Why are Brompton folding bikes so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Hmm, resurrected thread indeed...

The price of a Brompton, like the price of anything, is set at what the market will stand. And as there are a lot of people out there who really like them and there's relatively little competition (Is there any competition at the top-end of the folder market?), the price the market will stand is relatively high.

alicat

Legendary Member
Trains in the UK carry full size bikes, don't they? Or have locking up places. Both ends?

What prompted me to get a Brompton was the experience of having to rush to jam my bike in a normal carriage after I realised that nobody was going to open the bike carriage on the Pendolino for my bike reservation.

Kell

Veteran
You could lock up a bike at both ends of your journey. I see several people on my train that do that. But then you're maintaining two bikes rather than one - arguably each would go twice as long before a service though. The biggest worry of that for me is wondering whether or not your bike will be there when you come back to it.

Most train companies only allow folders during rush hour - and mine was going to introduce a new rule about those too. At the time I had a full-size Dahon and they said they were going to bring in a rule which meant only those bikes with 20" and less wheels would be allowed. Or only those that had a two-fold system rather than a single fold.

That was the final nail in the coffin for me thinking about getting another full-size folder. They weren't cheap and I didn't fancy the idea of buying one and then being told I couldn't use it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You could lock up a bike at both ends of your journey. I see several people on my train that do that
You could. But in the case of your (and my) London terminus station you need a season ticket issued by the National Rail operator to do it inside the station. Which excludes both those of us who don't commute five days a week and those of us who travel from an underground station.

The security point also excludes anyone who doesn't have secure parking at their final destination. In my 20+ years of Brompton commuting I have literally never locked it up. I suspect that if I'd been using a full-sized bike I'd have lost about one per year to a thief - which even if I bought gaspipe specials means that the three Bromptons I've bought have paid for themselves - even discounting the fact that my first one paid for itself within a year in a cheaper season ticket, and the next two years of commuting paid for the second one.

doginabag

I must say, I don't understand people getting so up tight about the existence of a product they neither want or need.

Makes me wonder if I should be signing up on www.coffeechat.net and having a moan about fancy coffee machines because I'm happy enough with a jar of instant. :crazy:

Kell

Veteran
You could. But in the case of your (and my) London terminus station you need a season ticket issued by the National Rail operator to do it inside the station. Which excludes both those of us who don't commute five days a week and those of us who travel from an underground station.

I did not know that. I knew you had to apply for a permit, but hadn't realised you had to be a season ticket holder to do so.

I think @Flying Dodo has a Bickerton. A serious amount of reengineering/pimping has been carried out to make it into a rideable machine.
Replacement stem, fork & handlebars, plus Brompton front wheel and the Kinetics Brompton 8 speed rear wheel. Zooms along very nicely and with velcro dots in strategic places, the bars stay folded when I fold the frame.

Bizarrely, it's had a new lease of life since recently moving to the seaside, as I use it all the time for popping along the promenade to the shops. Prior to that, it's done nothing for 2 years after going up a little hill in the south of France.....
DSC_0061.JPG

I overtook quite a few people going up!

jay clock

Massive member

The security point also excludes anyone who doesn't have secure parking at their final destination. In my 20+ years of Brompton commuting I have literally never locked it up. I suspect that if I'd been using a full-sized bike I'd have lost about one per year to a thief - which even if I bought gaspipe specials means that the three Bromptons I've bought have paid for themselves - even discounting the fact that my first one paid for itself within a year in a cheaper season ticket, and the next two years of commuting paid for the second one.
Waterloo has dozens of free racks and open to anyone. And as long a your bike is (or looks) a bit crap it will be fine. Mine is a £300 hybrid with the frame wrapped in electrical tape.

Top Bottom