Why are Brompton folding bikes so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robrinay

I’ve had 4 Moulton f frames, a Bickerton, two APBs, a Pashley Land Rover and four Dahons. I finally realised I was finding alternatives to a Brompton but hadn’t been prepared to spend the money. Upon realising this I sold the last Dahon, the Land Rover and a posh fountain pen (a1930’s Waterman Patrician in Lapis) and bought a Brompton nuff said!

simongt

Guru
We've had a Dahon folder, a Giant Halfway, now we have two Bromptons. It's a rare case of you get what you pay for and with our Bromptons, it was money well spent. :thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
They're expensive because Brompton exist to maximise shareholder value, and the more they can charge per unit the better they can do that. They know how far they can push it before people become unwilling to pay, and walk just south of that line. Theres no mystery to it.

They're expensive because Brompton exist to maximise shareholder value, and the more they can charge per unit the better they can do that. They know how far they can push it before people become unwilling to pay, and walk just south of that line. Theres no mystery to it.

They're expensive because they're made in London. They could have sold up and let a factory in Taiwan make it for cheaper - but some things are worth paying for.

User66445

They're expensive because they're made in London. They could have sold up and let a factory in Taiwan make it for cheaper - but some things are worth paying for.
While they didn't sell up, they certainly entered agreements to have Bromptons manufactured in the Republic of China. Hence all the clones.

Are you sure about that ?

From what I hear Chinese companies pretty much have free rein to copy other products. I doubt they would bother buying the rights and I doubt Brompton would sell ?

Alan O

Über Member
Over the years Brompton have successfully challenged a number of copycat machines, including ones from Neobike that @avole mentions. They had a case against Dahon last year that they dropped.

Quite why they continue to manufacture in a high wage place like the UK, especially London, puzzles me. But I'm not in the manufacturing business so it's not something I understand. I assume they must able to keep making money that way.
What's Brompton's international market like? Quite a few UK brands are very popular with high-end consumers overseas mainly because they're seen as iconic British brands and the products are made in the UK. I'm sure Burberry labels that said "Made in China", for example, wouldn't sell so well - although Burberry does manufacture in quite a few countries (including China) it's very careful with its labeling.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's a bit more to it than squeeze the punter until the pips squeak.

Brompton has the best customer support of any bike company I know of in terms of parts inventory and published workshop instructions - there's an expanded diagram available online for almost every repair/maintenance task.

All this is a genuine cost to the business which Brompton can presumably only recover from the price of the bike/bits because that's their only source of income.

I believe the heavy metal work is done in South Wales, and paint is also outside London, so Brompton has taken steps to reduce costs while staying in the UK.

As a general point, I'm told China and the Far East is not the bargain to manufacture in it once was, partly due to increasing wage costs.

That's something to be welcomed, given the benefit was based on slave labour.

Eastern Europe is now just as cheap as China, if not cheaper, and one of my ebike company buddies tells me it's almost as cheap to assemble in the UK.

Now there's an innovation.

simongt

Guru
. They could have sold up and let a factory in Taiwan make it for cheaper
Brompton tried that back in 1991 with Eurotai, but Andrew Ritchie was so dismayed with the quality control & marketing style, he decided to keep Brompton production in the UK. A rare case of 'selling up to a cheap producer for the sake of a lower selling price' not being the standard required by a British firm. :thumbsup:

mitchibob

Über Member
I did the Ride London-Surrey 100 on a Brompton the other day along with thousands more road bikes and a few other Brommies, and I can guarantee I had more fun than the roadies, more kudos from fellow riders and more cheers from the side of the road. That's priceless! Made what would've otherwise felt like a miserable winter training ride into a great experience. Just wouldn't have been the same on a similar value road bike.

But honestly, having had a hard crash on one, even though it could do with a new frame, as it's slightly bent, my first brompton M2L is still perfectly ridable after some headset adjustments and slight front wheel truing after going into the side of a car at 20mph that left me with a cast on each arm (wrist and hand breakages). They are really well made. My newer M6L has done 6,000km in less than a year and has only needed new front break blocks, chain and sprockets so far. All pretty cheap replacements if you're doing them yourself (£35?). Oh, and about £30 quid some some kojaks for summer, and maybe winter. Rest of the bike still looks (after a clean) and rides like it's new. Well, if you don't look at the slightly scuffed SPD pedals. There have been a couple incidents. I'll still probably replace the frame on my M2L, as it does bounce a little more than it should at higher cadences.

GM

Legendary Member
I did the Ride London-Surrey 100 on a Brompton the other day along with thousands more road bikes and a few other Brommies, and I can guarantee I had more fun than the roadies, more kudos from fellow riders and more cheers from the side of the road. That's priceless! Made what would've otherwise felt like a miserable winter training ride into a great experience. Just wouldn't have been the same on a similar value road bike.

I've got to agree100% with that. I did the 46 on mine, it was an absolute delight to do!

Top Bottom