Why are drivers so silly?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You were very unlucky to have encountered such a concentration of blockheads. It isn't always like that; there will be days when you encounter no idiots.

Just like cyclists, motorists are a cross-section of society, half of whom are at or below average intelligence. There will be fools in all groups of road users. Motorists often stand out, as their inattention may be more likely to cause pain, expense and injury than that of a cyclist or pedestrian.

I am very lucky and have been so for most of my forty cycling years. I find most other road users skilled, courteous and thoughtful.

A broader study of your dilemma might conclude that drivers (as a group) are made up mostly of humankind - and that it is humankind that exhibits a tendency towards silliness.

I wouldn't trust most of us with a sharp pencil.. which is why I am typing this rather than writing it. :tongue:

400bhp

Guru
You were very unlucky to have encountered such a concentration of blockheads. It isn't always like that; there will be days when you encounter no idiots.

Just like cyclists, motorists are a cross-section of society, half of whom are at or below average intelligence. There will be fools in all groups of road users. Motorists often stand out, as their inattention may be more likely to cause pain, expense and injury than that of a cyclist or pedestrian.

I am very lucky and have been so for most of my forty cycling years. I find most other road users skilled, courteous and thoughtful.

A broader study of your dilemma might conclude that drivers (as a group) are made up mostly of humankind - and that it is humankind that exhibits a tendency towards silliness.

I wouldn't trust most of us with a sharp pencil.. which is why I am typing this rather than writing it. :tongue:

Are you sure about that?

Psyclist

Über Member
Most drivers are reasonable, but as you're out in the public, the chances of seeing bad drivers is going to vary. I see mostly good than bad drivers where I live.

sabian92

Über Member
I can count the number of properly bad passes i've had on 1 hand. 1 was a knob in an Audi (although partially my fault as I let him through with traffic on the other side of the road queuing), an HGV that left me about 3 inches, a bus and some old batty guy in an old Volvo who justified it by saying that "I was all over the road" when I was turning right and that's in 12 months.

Depends where you live, depends on the sort of people you live around. Strangely where I live seems OK considering I hardly ever see anybody on a bike.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Most drivers seem to me to be courteous and patient (Leaving aside the fact that the majority are undertaking absurdly short journeys of course). It's the bad ones we remember most though, add a little cyclist's adrenaline and it doesn't take much for the red mist to descend. I find if I get a really poor pass or idiotic manoevre, (which is thankfully quite rare) I'm more likely have a go at the next moron and it kind of spoils the ride. Shouldn't but it does.

Top Bottom