Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I can appreciate the beauty in old & new bikes. I love the look of the old curly Hetchins bikes, I also think that some of the modern carbon bikes are equally stunning. But if you are wanting modern ugly, then I reckon this will take some beating
Stebles_Bike_Prototype_small.jpg

It looks like you've ridden over a couple of squid who've wrapped themselves around the bike.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If all that white plastic was black and removable it looks like the perfect winter bike.
I'm not sure it is though :blush: If you 'need' carbon for a winter bike I think Trek have the right answer with their hidden eyelet mounts, not sure if anyone else has a similar system, but IMO it's more pleasing on the eye

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I can appreciate the beauty in old & new bikes. I love the look of the old curly Hetchins bikes, I also think that some of the modern carbon bikes are equally stunning. But if you are wanting modern ugly, then I reckon this will take some beating View attachment 392749
I was going to make the point that when you're riding a bike you're not looking at it. Then you had to post that!

AndyRM

XOXO
If all that white plastic was black and removable it looks like the perfect winter bike.

Yep, much less jarring.

Stebles_Bike_Carbon_Wrap_drop_bars_small.jpg

Seems to have not made much progress... https://www.gofundme.com/steblesbikes

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I find myself sometimes wincing when I turn a page in a bike magazine to be confronted with a photo of something with hardly any spokes and a thick plastic - sorry, carbon frame. I think it's partly because the fat tubes and deep rims mean that the garish decals can be larger and more garish, so naturally they usually are.

In the days of lugged steel frames, the thinner tubes and flat profile rims necessarily had smaller, subtler decorations.

(Owner of a Spa Tour, which while modern(ish) is steel, is black with tiny gold logos. While it's welded together, it does have a gusset which you could pretend was a lug at the head-to-down tube joint).

wonderdog

In exactly the same way as the last decent music was produced in about 1984.....

Yes.

And so will the next generation be when they get to your age. They'll think that stuff from their youth was the best ever. 'twas ever thus.
How much music from the past 20 years or so survives to the extent that people still say, "Sheeesh that was a marvellous song." Or in the antipodean argot, "Ripper tune Boris."

Top Bottom